cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n ADSL modem with ECI B-Focus (BT Modem) Configuration Help

Flanbix

TG582n ADSL modem with ECI B-Focus (BT Modem) Configuration Help

Hi,
Just got the engineer this morning to set up my fibre broadband.
However I thought I could easily use my former TG582n ADSL modem and the configuration wizard to set up my internet connection. Without success for now.  Embarrassed

My questions are:
- First, is the TG582n I had for my ADSL is compatible (There is the option for the PPPoE in the wizard but no dedicated WAN port (Did use the Port 1)
- Second, what are the correct parameters to enter in the wizard to get the PPPoE connection working.
I guess I could request a new modem but I will have to wait and it will be another modem to my collection.
Regards.
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: TG582n ADSL modem with ECI B-Focus (BT Modem) Configuration Help

You would need to flash it with the correct firmware for it to work on fibre - that is assuming that would actually work as I am not sure
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Flanbix
There is the option for the PPPoE in the wizard but no dedicated WAN port (Did use the Port 1)
- Second, what are the correct parameters to enter in the wizard to get the PPPoE connection working.

If the router is running R10 firmware, the wizard configures ethernet port 4 as the EWan port.
IIRC you only need enter your plusnet username and password.
If however plunet have the router registed to your account it should automatically enter those for you, that is unless you've disabled that feature in your members centre.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It's possible to install the 10.2.5.2 FTTC firmware on a 582n that was originally shipped for ADSL. The 10.2.5.2 firmware was intended for models with a USB port, so all the USB related firmware features are enabled. I don't think it causes any problem running the USB firmware on a non-USB model - the non-USB model still contains a USB controller as part of the chip, and the non-USB firmware still contains all the USB related software, most of it is just disabled and hidden away.
Flanbix

I am gonna try to switch the Ethernet cable to the Port 4 when back home this evening. I don't know which firmware I have, the routeur must be around 2 years old.
If it does not work I will put the new firmware (Plusnet - FTTC - TG582n (with USB port) - 10.2.5.2.EO  or FO ?). Mine doesn't have the USB but you say it is not an issue.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I don't think the setup wizard in the 10.2.2.B firmware has the ability to switch between ADSL modem/router and router with Ethernet WAN port - I think it just has PPPoE as an option for using PPPoE over the ADSL line.
npr
Pro

You could install the fibre firmware 8.C.M.0
If only because the GUI is faster with the R8 firmware.
http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/
Flanbix

I moved the "link" to the port 4 and flashed the modem with the 10.2.5.2.EO firmware.
Used the setup wizard in the modem and it worked.
Any advantages of switching to the firmware 8.C.M.0 except the faster GUI?
npr
Pro

Only the faster gui and that you wouldn't need to use the wizard.