cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TBB Speed Test question

alext05
Grafter

TBB Speed Test question

I understand that the first part of the speed test is more important but wanted to find out why my x6 speed test is always around 40 Mbps, when all the other people posting their speed tests here have both type of results the same. Am I being artificially restricted somewhere?

20 REPLIES 20
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: TBB Speed Test question

That is truly weird!
Are you testing wired or wireless?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
alext05
Grafter

Always wired. I did ask the same question on TBB forums some time ago but was told that the single thread test is more important. That didn't answer my question why everyone else gets the same speeds for both sets and I always get 40Mbps.
Interestingly, I was originally and mistakenly provisioned by Plusnet on 40/20 package. Could this be an explanation and they need to tweak something somewhere?
One more test:

elfish
Grafter

It took me ages to find the cause of having low x1 TBB speeds but fine x6 HTTP speeds on my Win7 PC and it was all down to my TCP settings.
What OS are you running?
Take a look at speedguide.net and read through the documentation about the Optimiser tool:
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
I would try checking your Network Interface Card settings (my WinXP PC was getting overall slow speeds, and it was down to the speed/duplex mode forcing 100Mbps/full duplex rather than set to auto, which did the trick! Very strange as the card itself is only 100BASE-TX), then the optimiser, then try disabling/removing programs (yes its a farce, but software could be restricting your speeds), then try a different/new NIC.
I hope something works/unlocks your speed.
My thread regarding my issue:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,139749
elfish
Grafter

Before trying what I listed, try a different PC/laptop and see if you get the same results.
alext05
Grafter

Thanks, elfish. I'll do investigating later today.
So, you think it is highly unlikely to do anything with Plusnet?
elfish
Grafter

That's why I would suggest you try a different computer, if the issue still persists then its more than likely an issue with your router or external to your network.
It took me a week to figure out what the hell was going on with two different computers, took a lot of setting changing, and it finally did pay off.  Wink
Good luck.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

IIRC kitz made a post about a simular issue a while back, the cause of her issue turned out to be the PC's graphic driver.
I'll have a search for the post and give the link if I find it.
Update:
Found the link but I'm not sure now that it is the same problem.
here's the link if it helps:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,120303.msg1109426.html#msg1109426
alext05
Grafter

Thanks all. I did a couple of tests with my son's laptop and it hit 60Mbps on it on x6 speed tests. So, it's something with my desktop then.
I'll have a look at updating drivers and see if it will help.
alext05
Grafter

Found the culprit. Firefox's Adblock Plus add-on.
Test in Firefox - Adblock Plus disabled.

In Chrome:

Now, what to do with that Adblock Plus?
npr
Pro

I run firefox with adblock plus on two pc's and don't have that problem.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Which version of the test - the flash or non-flash one? If you are not logged in to the TBB website you will run the non-flash version.
I've seen other reports of the flash test having issues AV/Firewall/Ad blocking software.
The flash version can be run without logging in from http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/speedtest2.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
npr
Pro

I appear to have had a similar issue.
Disabling Adblock Plus made no difference but restarting Firefox (with adblock enabled) did fix the problem.
Firefox v38.0.5
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140615.0.html
Wrighty11
Grafter

hey alext05.
Happy to see you found the culprit for the issue. Im going to keep note of this just in case I hear anything again in the future. Smiley 
alext05
Grafter

@npr
Interesting. I think Firefox with its memory issues and some leaky or misconfigured add-ons might be responsible for various problems and not only with the speed tests.
Lots of folks use Firefox as a matter of habit, myself including. It might be time to make a switch to Chrome. The speed test in Chrome felt good in comparison to Firefox.
@Wrighty
I am pleased that it was nothing to do with Plusnet, as the last thing you want is to get blamed for something that has nothing to do with you at all. It also brings a totally different perspective to many speed complaints raised, where it is quite possible a user browser issue might have been at fault.