cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synology VPN Server not externally accessible

srunciman

Synology VPN Server not externally accessible

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to set up the VPN Server on my Synology, and while I am able to connect to the VPN locally (using my phone) when on my local Wifi, I cannot connect when trying to connect externally (using my phones 4G connection instead).

It's a L2TP VPN Server, and I've got UDP Ports 4500, 1701 and 500 all forwarded on my router (A Plus Net Hub One). When I try an online port checker, they claim those three ports are infact closed, so I assume the problem lies there, but I'm not really sure what else I can do after forwarding my ports locally?

I've done a bit of searching on here for this issue, and my external IP address begins with 83, so that seems ok. 

Has anyone got any ideas of things I could try to resolve this?

Thank you Smiley

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Synology VPN Server not externally accessible

@srunciman check that your PlusNet Firewall is OFF https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall ( you will need to login to the member centre with your username/password ). If you have to change it then you will need to disconnect/reconnect the PPPoE connection to action the change.

edit: with the new member centre you may need to login first and then use the link

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

srunciman

Just checked that option, and it was already set to off. Should I still restart my router anyway?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

If it was already OFF then I wouldn't think restarting it would have any effect.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

srunciman

Thank you anyway. Is there anything else worth trying? I'm totally stuck about what to do here