Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synch Speed v Download Speed

FIXED
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Synch Speed v Download Speed

For months now my sync speed has been around 75Mbps but speed tests show my download speed again to be consistently capped at around 64Mbps.

Can someone please have a look to see if there's anything your end that could be restricting my speed? For information, I have a static IP address and know that this was causing an issue at one time.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Synch Speed v Download Speed

I can see the connection profile on your account is set at 72mbps from the 10th July which seems to be correct for your router sync rate at 74.7mbps and there's no banding on your line "0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off"

Do you use your own router or a Plusnet one? I'm thinking if it's a third party one, it may be worth checking that there's no settings in your router which may be restricting your speeds.

Failing that I'd head on over to http://faults.plus.net to report a fault to us. Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1

@Gandalf 

Thanks Anoush for looking at this for me. I use a Business Smarthub but I'm pretty sure that this is not the cause as I have tried a couple over the months plus recently put my old HG612 back in when playing with a FTTP Smarthub. The interesting thing about that was that it synced 1Mbps slower but still returned the exact 64Mbps. The only 'freebie' router I have ever had since I moved from Metronet to Plusnet was a Hub Zero to go with the BT installed ECI modem (I am connected to a Huawei cabinet) when I moved to fibre. As you may imagine, this combination did not survive for long!

I'm a bit reluctant to raise a fault because my speed is within my MGAL speed. Can you confirm whether a 10Mbps difference between sync speed and download speed is considered to be a legitimate fault? I don't want to be hit with a £65 charge.

Moderator and Customer

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Baldrick1 no problem and I forgot you're using a Smarthub. If it were me I'd personally not worry about the 10mbps drop in speed unless it's affecting your performance. We should be able to progress this as a fault although whether an engineer who goes out finds anything wrong with the service is a different matter. I'd keep an eye on things and let us know if you notice your speeds drop further or any other issues start happening like disconnections.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1

@Gandalf wrote:

I can see the connection profile on your account is set at 72mbps from the 10th July

Reading this prompted me to try dropping the connection and reconnecting. My download speed is now 68.4Mbps. I'm sorry for wasting your time.

The change of profile happened the same day as my Smarthub went through its fortnightly soft reset. I don't know if this was coincidence. If not I wonder why it did not pick up the increased speed? Ho Humm, the things that we don't know....

Moderator and Customer

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

No problem that's cool and admittedly I didn't suggest to reboot your router as I noticed that your connection had dropped on the 10th July. Actually looking at the timestamps it dropped at 13:29 and the profile changed at 18:49:43.

Glad to see you're back up to speed now anyway. Thumbs_Up

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet