cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync v IP profile wrong

maddog56
Dabbler

Sync v IP profile wrong

Hi can someone look into my ip profile. My router stats are as follows.
Maximum data rate 24.049 Mbps / 81.569 Mbps
Data rate 20 Mbps / 67.474 Mbps

Bt speed test results.
Download speed achieved 62.23 Mbps
IP Profile 65.31 Mbps
Upload speed achieved 20.60 Mbps
IP Profile 20 Mbps

Something isn't quite right. Is it a stuck profile, miss match something needs sorted at BTs end.
Whats the point in paying for 80Mb and only getting 67Mb.

5 REPLIES 5
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Sync v IP profile wrong

You are not paying for 80. you are paying for up to 80.

The closer you are to the cabinet, the nearer to 80 you will get.

Looks ok to me. Is this the first time you have looked at these stats?

maddog56
Dabbler

cheers for your reply but your answer doesn't help me. look at it again. Who said anything about upto speed. My line can handle 80Mb no problem currently syncing about that, but capped at BT with a profile set well below that. I was looking for someone at plusnet to check the line for a profile mismatch, which is the case here.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@maddog56  I've looked at it and as your IP profile is  65.31 Mbps you are not syncing at 80Mbps. I see your modem sync speed is 67.474 Mbps. @Mustrum is perfectly correct. you are paying for up to 80Mbps. You can ignore the maximum data rate figures, they don't mean much as they are just optimistic values calculated by the modem, nothing to do with actual speeds.

maddog56
Dabbler

Just a quick question i have compared why is the snr always around 6db when will it drop to 3db, in the past it has been 3db but after we had a thunderstorm its never went back down, surely this will affect my speeds.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@maddog56 there's nothing wrong that I can see with your speeds. Your router's in sync at 67448 so an IP profile of 65.31mbps is correct as the IP profile should be around 96% of your sync speed. Lower if there's interleaving or retransmission enabled on your line by the dynamic line management (DLM) at the cabinet.

There is interleaving in a low state: Downstream: 0.128M-80M with Interleaving (Low). Upstream: 0.128M-20M with no error protection. We can't do anything to adjust the DLM settings, we can just request a reset if your line's banded but the aforementioned profile shows there's no banding.

0.128M-80M means that your line can sync at a speed of between 0.128mbps and 80mbps with no artificial restrictions. The estimated speed of your line is between 55mbps and 73mbps so you're well within expectations and as such our suppliers wouldn't accept a fault report for an engineer to investigate this.

With regards to reducing the SNRM target back down to 3dB this is controlled by DLM as this is a DLM setting but again we don't have any influence over this I'm afraid unlike ADSL connection where we have more control. 

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet