cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync speed slowing down - Was around 50Mbps some months ago, now down to around 41Mbps

FIXED
h107474
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Sync speed slowing down - Was around 50Mbps some months ago, now down to around 41Mbps

I have noticed a slowing of my download speed over the last several months. I have waited to see if it was temporary and reset my modem now and again to re-sync (not too often to avoid DLM thinking its a bad connection) but with no signs of it going back up.

It looks like it happened between 27th Oct and 20th Nov 2019 from my speedtest tracking below:

Speed Drop Date 2019.jpg

I have a Draytek Vogor 130 modem and Asus RT-AC68U router and have had for some time.

My line stats from the modem are below for info. Can you look into why this may be happening please? A DLM reset?

Line Stats 05-02-2020.JPG

30 REPLIES 30
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Sync speed slowing down - Was around 50Mbps some months ago, now down to around 41Mbps

It's the speedtest site that's slightly broken - as from about 15/12/2019

Taken every few days or so my results (19/5/2019 - todate) demonstrate that the site cannot be trusted.

My speed has actually remained constant for the last year at about 70Mbps - that site has shown speeds of 67Mbps for the last couple of months.

Screenshot-2020-02-05@15-11-06.png

I use a different (background) program to do speed tests.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

h107474
Grafter

Re: Sync speed slowing down - Was around 50Mbps some months ago, now down to around 41Mbps

I have also seen the corresponding drop in download speeds, most clearly in newsgroups where I can see a nice flat chart of download speed but at around 5MB/s where I used to have almost 6MB/s.
h107474
Grafter

Its more like 4.7MB/s now actually. See grab below. Note this was a steady 6MB/s back in the summer.

Download NZB 09-02-2020.JPG

My sync is still slowing down even now seen by this screen grab of my modem from Dec 31st to now shows contiunued sync speed slowing.

31st Dec:

Vigor Modem Grab 31-12-2019 10.30 (before reboot-resync).JPG

9th Feb

Vigor Modem Grab 09-02-2020 17.07 (after reboot-resync).JPG

Any chance someone at Plusnet can look into it please? Do you have a record / trend of the sync speed over time to see if it shows the same?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @h107474

We don't keep a historic log of your sync speed, but I have just reset your profile, so let's see how this looks in a few days.

Best wishes

Dave

h107474
Grafter

Thanks! Do I need to rest my modem/router to resync again or just leave it for now?

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @h107474, thanks for getting back to us. The change my colleague has made was upping your profile on our account side. I can see this was set to just about 42Mbps which explains your speed tests above. We've now uncapped this again and if you reboot the router the change should take effect. I can see when testing your connection however we are only seeing a maximum sync of 48.8Mbps so I'm afraid I don't think the speeds would reach back above the 50Mbps mark. Having a check of your estimates for your line however I can see your speeds are massively falling towards the high end of the estimates of 32.8 - 50Mbps.

h107474
Grafter

Well it has been a few weeks now and rebooted everything with no real change. I still top out around 42Mbps. I guess I just have to accept something has changed in the upstream network and this is the new normal. Thanks for your efforts.

Hopefully this ever worsening, over subscribed copper infrastructure will be replaced with proper FTTP in the next decade or so.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I'm not saying this IS your problem, but on running a line test, I've found this "BRAS Service Speed and MSAN Service Speed are Inconsistent". To be fair, this is an error I'd normally expect on 20CN lines not fibre. As you're sync rate is over 50MBps, I think it's worth exploring further. Feel free to log at faults.plus.net.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
VileReynard
Hero

@h107474 wrote:

Its more like 4.7MB/s now actually. See grab below. Note this was a steady 6MB/s back in the summer.

Download NZB 09-02-2020.JPG

My sync is still slowing down even now seen by this screen grab of my modem from Dec 31st to now shows contiunued sync speed slowing.

31st Dec:

Vigor Modem Grab 31-12-2019 10.30 (before reboot-resync).JPG

9th Feb

Vigor Modem Grab 09-02-2020 17.07 (after reboot-resync).JPG

Any chance someone at Plusnet can look into it please? Do you have a record / trend of the sync speed over time to see if it shows the same?

Have you tried swapping in a new router for a while?

Maybe its a router fault?

You are obviously not using Plusnet's "free" modem/router, so you could try that for a couple of days.

Similar stats are available.

h107474
Grafter

OK thanks for running more tests. Shall I log it now, or as suggested by VileReynard, plug the plusnet router in for a while first? I know that will be the first thing suggested by the next trouble shooting step or do your tests suggest an external line issue rather than internal hardware issue?

I am reluctant to use the Plusnet router as my ASUS router is very neatly setup with QOS, some fixed IPs for cameras etc and a media server running so it will be a bit painful moving to the Plusnet one, but needs must.

I'll sort it out at the weekend when I have more time to reconfigure all of my networked kit with the Plusnet router.

VileReynard
Hero

Having just done it, I suggest changing any substitute router's SSID & passwords to be the same as the ASUS values - saves a lot of wifi device configuration!

h107474
Grafter

Great idea! I was toying with leaving the ASUS in place and switching it to AP mode and using it for the WiFi and media server while disabling the Plusnet router's WiFi. The PN router would still need to take care of the DHCP and I would run any speed tests wired into the PN router. But this might be over complicating things so just need to bite the bullet and power down the ASUS router for a week I suppose.

h107474
Grafter

So the Plusnet Hub One router is plugged in now and no change in the speed test (all tests done wired directly into the router). See the before and after screen grabs below. I shall go ahead and report the fault via the link above to move to the next stage of fault finding.

Vigor 130 Modem and Asus RT-AC68U Router (now unplugged):

Vigor Modem and Speedtest 14-03-2020 13.00 (before moving to Plusnet router).JPG

Plusnet Hub One Router (now connected with no noticeable improvement):

Plusnet Hub One and Speedtest 14-03-2020 13.36 (after moving to Plusnet router).JPG

h107474
Grafter

@plusnettony wrote:

I'm not saying this IS your problem, but on running a line test, I've found this "BRAS Service Speed and MSAN Service Speed are Inconsistent". To be fair, this is an error I'd normally expect on 20CN lines not fibre. As you're sync rate is over 50MBps, I think it's worth exploring further. Feel free to log at faults.plus.net.

So the Openreach engineer came out and ran all tests. He said there was no detectable faults but did agree he has seen the speed drop in his system records too and the line is syncing at 50Mbps while only running closer to 40.

He said that I should point out that the BRAS you mentioned is on the Plusnet side of the equipment chain and Plusnet should be investigating this issue on their side of the exchange handover. I logged the fault at the above link and also included a link to this thread so I expected this would have been done before Openreach were contacted for a call out. What can be done now to dig into the issue you have described above given it looks like an issue upstream of the Openreach exchange to premises line?