cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync speed has dropped significantly

sg888

Sync speed has dropped significantly

Hi,

Since Tuesday (or at least when I first noticed), my download speed has dropped from about 64mbps to 14mbps. Upload speed hasn't changed much.

I've done the usual tests - test socket, reboot router, changed network cable etc to no avail. I've had a similar issue in the past about 9 months ago where my speed was about the same.

Am I being banded?

7 REPLIES 7
flump10
Hooked

Re: Sync speed has dropped significantly

Hello SG888

I've been trying to contact PlusNet about this, but currently, to no avail.

My broadband was running at 26mbps yesterday and 30 today, which against the guaranteed speed of Fibre Extra, is noticeably poor.

I can't see anything official from Plusnet about service changes or disruption, but something isn't right and it would be helpful if they could let us know what is going on.

Good luck

Just rechecked my speed and it's at 14mbps.

RewindJack
Hooked

Your not the only one!
Im suppose to be hidding around 40 mbps but currently only sitting at barely 25.
Finding it stressful when they dont contact you and its more annoying that downloading something thats a few gig is taking 20+ mins to complete. 
They need to look into this.

paultop6

Yep I have exactly the same issue

Download dropped from 63 to 33

Upload has dropped from 11 to 0.7!

Phone lines are way to busy to try and get through basically all day.

I suspect the sync speeds have changed significantly due to the increased local demand due to everyone being at home.

I dont mind the drop in download, but the drop in upload is having a significant impact on usage.  Any app on a phone or PC decides it wants to do a bulk upload of data, the whole things grinds to a halt.

Dont even try doing video conference calls on zoom or google meet, no chance!

I understand that this is a unique circumstance, but some kinda of feedback from Plusnet would be welcome to clarify this!

Digitalspirit
Dabbler

Me to, though not to the extreme of some others. Was getting around 61.10 Mbps download constantly for a very long period, in the last 2-3 days has dropped to 48.64 Mbps and stayed there. Line is clear of noise. Router/Modem rebooted. Upload appears fine. It does feel like the downstream connection is being throttled as opposed to a technical issue, but can't be sure. Be nice if support could update, as if it isn't restricted then there's the possibility of a fault I need to address.

sg888

I was also thinking same perhaps the connection is being throttled due to everyone being at home. I find the lack of feedback and slow response in general quite annoying to be honest. The similar situation I had previously took 3 weeks to sort out!

It takes so long to get an acknowledgement or response on the Help Assistant. Several days for someone to tell you to reboot the router and to do a line test and another several days they will look into it more etc.. then it ends up being weeks for a resolution.

kennykleks
Dabbler

Same. I've upgraded 2 months ago to Fibre Extra. Speed tests show 15mbps downstream and 0.4 downstream!! Which is unacceptable. My sync speed on the router is showing down 31 mbps and up 0.5 mbps. What the hell is this?

sg888

My connection has been fixed and it was a cap that was placed on the connection as explained by the BT engineer. The engineer was able to get full speed from outside. He said the cap was to keep the line stable which makes sense and got full speed once it was lifted.

Plusnet support showed me also they were getting full speed however in the Broadband section of the site, it showed ~14mbp.

I was adamant it wasn't my router, cable etc and something out of my control. Why is this sort of thing not noticed and that it requires an engineer visit (outside)? I've had something similar last year and my connection just "magically" worked after an engineer visit and he was confused as well. My experience with engineer visits in general result in passing the blame around - it must be our own not ISP supplied router, why am I using this etc? I've lost one hour today when I was supposed to be working from home.

I accept internet goes down from time to time but when that happens an isp deals with it but having to troubleshoot and explaining to BT onsite engineer I've done everything I can, stresses me out!