Did you mean: 

Sync speed good - throughput bad

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Sync speed good - throughput bad

Thanks for your post Josh.

I'm sorry to see you're having speed issues.

From what I can see the speed profile on our side had dropped when your sync speed did through one of the drops you had yesterday, but when things picked back up, we hadn't yet automatically increased our profile. 

I've done that for you now. Could you turn your router off and on? You should see a higher download speed afterwards.

I can cancel the engineer visit if you'd like, but it may be worth leaving them booked to look into the underlying drops. 

Let us know how it goes Smiley

@Townman wrote:

Oddly I do not see fixed IP status!

That'll be because you've had your static IP for even longer, so we would've added it differently.

We can either add a static IP as an "Add-On" charging £5 or manually adding the component onto the account. 

As far as I'm aware back in the day when you signed up, the only way we'd add a static IP was the latter. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dickij
Dabbler

We're back up in the high 30s, thank you Smiley

Let's see how it goes, if it's still good in the morning I'll call to cancel the engineer.

For future reference, is there a special form of words I can say on the phone if/when this happens again that the advisor will know what I'm talking about and resolve? As it seems like the fix is easy.

Many Thanks
Josh
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@dickij wrote:
We're back up in the high 30s, thank you Smiley
Let's see how it goes, if it's still good in the morning I'll call to cancel the engineer.

Awesome, that's good to see! Thumbs_Up

For future reference, is there a special form of words I can say on the phone if/when this happens again that the advisor will know what I'm talking about and resolve? As it seems like the fix is easy.

Yup. We'd manually change the "Current Line Speed" you see in your member centre through adjusting the "Connection Profile" that's on the "Connection" tab of our CRM/accounts system. 

This can be set at anything up to the maximum speed for your package though there's no real benefit of increasing it beyond your sync speed, so it should be set at just under the sync speed to match the supplier IP profile. 

If the connection profile's below the supplier IP profile and you have a static IP, it'll restrict throughput due to the way that connections with fixed IPs are routed across our network.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@dickyj

Part of the issue here is that fixed IP address users are (a) not the norm and (b) there are different (slightly obscure) factors which impact DATA Speed performance. Join those two considerations together and there’s a risk that a good number of agents will not be aware of the finesse of this space. Some of the customers around here are old lags and have seen the oddities before.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.