cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync speed capped at 48998kbps but no solution

dinsdale
Hooked

Sync speed capped at 48998kbps but no solution

My fibre 80/20 connection was once solid at 56Mbps but has been erratic since the end of March 2016. It improved with the introduction of Vectoring in early 2017 and worsened noticeably during and after Storm Brian at the end of October 2017. I reported the fault to Plusnet and recorded speed tests on the BTW website as directed. Since then the faults.plus.net website shows 

"Thanks, you've given us all the information we need to investigate your problem" but I never heard back. 

The connection was producing up to 20 million downstream FEC errors per day but more or less working ok despite the odd spontaneous reset. It was beginning to improve again, then a reset ten days ago resulted in a sync of 48998kbps. I've rebooted my router six times since then, on one occasion allowing three days uptime but on each occasion I get exactly the same speed down to the last kbps so presumably a cap has been applied. DSLstats shows an attainable speed of around 55Mbps.

Plusnet say that there is no cap on my profile but because the BT 'dslchecker' gives an arbitrary A range of 36.1Mbps to 24.9Mbps they don't see a problem and can't or won't submit a fault report to BTO. 

I don't intend to reboot the router again, to see if DLM will intervene but is that realistic? It seems to be the only option short of jumping ship and hoping for better results elsewhere. 

3 REPLIES 3
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Sync speed capped at 48998kbps but no solution

One thing I would never do is keep on rebooting the router. DLM could possibly treat that as a problem. I would be more inclined to leave it and let DLM sort the line. Over the years, I've had cause to curse DLM (I was on a very solid 78mb sync but one power cut and it robbed me of 10mb on restart and for a year DLM didn't do anything) but from my own experience it seems to have matured lately. Certainly mine now tends to drift up and down with a max of 72 and a low of around 66mb. It actually improves when people around here go away on holiday - less crosstalk?

I must admit I've given up trying for the max. More important to me, is the line stable and can I do everything I want with it? I've also found browsing to be far more snappier when not at the max - don't ask me why, it just is. Maybe I get more errors when at the max.  

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
dinsdale
Hooked

Thanks for your reply. I think my line just needed a reset, which can only be done by an Openreach engineer.

The capped sync speed persisted for at least a couple of weeks continuously since the last router reboot. Having reached an impasse with Plusnet I'd decided to see what BT had to offer and found that FTTP was available. I didn't need the massive speed increase or the 100% rise in monthly cost but it seemed like a potential solution to many issues caused over the years by the 1km of overhead copper line connecting my house to the fibre cabinet. 

It soon became obvious after placing the FTTP order that no groundwork had been done (I live in a rural area) or was even in process by the projected completion date of 9th March but what did happen is that there was a communication from BT to Plusnet which was interpreted by Plusnet as a Cease order. Two elements of Section 5 of Plusnet's T&Cs on this subject designed to prevent what then transpired were not enacted. I was not consulted and left without a broadband connection from 1am on 9th March despite there being no replacement service. 

I tried connecting a spare router to the test socket but to no avail and rang tech support in the morning to report the loss of service. I was given the ultimatum of paying £65 for reprovisioning or starting a fresh 18 month contract. I was unaware of the T&Cs at that time so chose to pay the £65. I was given a date of 27th March for the reconnection Shocked . Nothing happened on the 27th because the reprovisioning order had been mysteriously cancelled and a new date of 3rd April was given and service was then restored.

In the 25 day period I was without Plusnet broadband I used my mobile phone tethered to my PC for basic internet  service and paid for 3G data at £2 per 200MB or part thereof (Virgin PAYG), totalling £80 over the period. I was initially offered £3.87 as compensation by Plusnet for loss of broadband service!

At least my line was effectively reset Smiley and after an expected short period of instability my sync has settled at 51768kbps with a lower error count than before.  

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear about the issues you've had.

Let us know if you have any further issues.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team