Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync rate

Aurhinius
Dabbler

Sync rate

Hi There,

I was wondering if you could assist with a drop in sync rate over the month of may.

My router was syncing at approx. 62mbit and has dropped over the month of may to what it now currently is 55-56mbit, sometimes 54mbit.

I notice on the openreach speed estimate that 55mbit is the limit on the low bracket of a clean line.

I have tried resetting the router, a different modem line cable, twisted pair versus supplied which actually makes things a fraction worse.

The reason I ask is that there has been a fair amount of construction next to the cabinet I connect to and cable laying which I suspect may be responsible for the sudden drop in speed.

14 REPLIES 14
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Sync rate

Sorry to hear your sync speeds have dropped.

I'm afraid our tests aren't showing any cause for this and as the sync speeds are within the estimates we'd struggle to progress this as a fault.

It may be down to crosstalk which is interference from other lines on FTTC and that can drop your sync speed gradually over time.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Aurhinius
Dabbler

Hi Matthew. Thanks for taking the time to respond much appreciated. When it's at 54mbit that is below minimum estimate. I can easily cause that to happen by changing modem cable if that helps. I appreciate it could be crosstalk but it could also be open reach messing in the cabinet or the construction work mentioned. I realise it would be difficult to raise a fault. Is there any recourse for someone like myself? It could equally be something like the pair needs terminating again in the cab.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I wouldn't recommend swapping the cable as if a engineer were to go out they will test another cable and you could end up with a £65 charge due to faulty internal wiring.

We can progress this to a engineer visit but if they can't find any faults the same charge above would still apply

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Aurhinius
Dabbler

Hi Matthew,

I appreciate your candidness.  I suppose I will sit on it for now and see if it gets worse still.  It's a shame because through no fault of my own I'm paying the same amount for less.  That's an odd scenario.

I realise you get cross talk and it could well be that it just seems odd it has suddenly presented itself over a one month period and I've lived here for 7 years with pretty stable speed throughout.

If an engineer is just going to get a TDM out and say... yeah it's a poor line but that's not a fault then I'm back where I started with a £65 bill.  Any way to check my line length from the cabinet without a TDM?  

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Aurhinius,

I've taken a look into this today and from our testing we can see that the estimated line length from the cabinet to your property is 503 Metres.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Aurhinius
Dabbler

Thanks for this so a line length of 503m and my router is providing a line attenuation of 16.8  which seems way too high for that line length or is it just miss reporting for VDSL 2?

If this is down to crosstalk is vectoring an option?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I think we can rule out crosstalk as line tests don't flag up any problems. Might be worth trying the quiet line test by phoning 17070.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Aurhinius
Dabbler

Unfortunately I don't have a hard wired phone so can't test with the quiet line I just have a dect model.

Run out of idea's as to what might have caused the sync rate drop then if it's not crosstalk.  No internal cabling changes.

Router is showing -

6. Data rate: 19999 / 55953
7. Maximum data rate: 20203 / 55973
8. Noise margin: 6.0 / 6.0
9. Line attenuation: 17.3 / 16.8
10. Signal attenuation: 17.2 / 16.8

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Dect phones can interfere with the router, is it close?

Are you able to move it further away?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

If it helps here are the stats we can see from our side:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 56.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 503.0
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Week Days
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 17:00 to 17:15
Interference Location Unknown
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-06-15T09:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 53.9 Mbps 56.5 Mbps 55.8 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps
Up Time 580.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 898.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 2.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-06-28T09:18:43.351+01:00 2018-06-28T09:33:43.351+01:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 1
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 4 1
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Even though you don't have a wired phone handset it may still be worth doing the quiet line test to check for any noise on your line.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Aurhinius
Dabbler

thanks for the stats always very interested to see stuff like this.

I suppose it is what it is.  Did the quiet line test and I hear some very quiet hiss which seems all very normal to me.

regular interference on weekday is intriguing how does it calculate that and ultimately is that even an issue that is fixable?

I suppose the question is where do we go with this?  If it's not crosstalk at the cab but there is a approx. 7mbit sync loss which puts it still above the hand back limit all be it at the bottom of the low performance bracket.

It seems like we are where we are territory and there's not much anyone can do?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Yeah it looks like your line is performing as best as it can as your sync rate is within expectations/estimates and there aren't any signs of a fault on our tests.

The possible regular interference detected unfortunately isn't something we can solely base a fault report on.

We can push for an engineer visit but if an engineer goes out and finds no fault then we'd likely pass on to you £65 of the call-out charge.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Aurhinius
Dabbler

As I don't want to end up with a £65 bill at the moment I think I will just live with it and see if it gets any worse.   Everyone has been extremely helpful and obliging so I highly rate your support.

Thank you.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks a lot Aurhinius, please keep us posted.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team