cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync'd at 7806 kbps, but speedtest shows max of 5.91 Mbps. Think workplace profile needs adjusting.

Crickers
Dabbler

Sync'd at 7806 kbps, but speedtest shows max of 5.91 Mbps. Think workplace profile needs adjusting.

As in the title sync'd at 7806 kbps, but speedtest shows max of 5.91 Mbps.

Think workplace profile needs adjusting again. Could some one please investigate?

Might seem trivial but when you only have a slow connection need to make sure that it's working as well as possible.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Sync'd at 7806 kbps, but speedtest shows max of 5.91 Mbps. Think workplace profile needs adju...

Hi @Crickers

Thanks for getting in touch. 

I have performed a GEA test and can see that your Sync Speed is roughly 7.3 Mbps. 

I've checked your cvlan rate and that seems to be fine as well. 

Could you please confirm if the speeds you are noticing are over Wifi or LAN? 

Thanks 

Crickers
Dabbler

Re: Sync'd at 7806 kbps, but speedtest shows max of 5.91 Mbps. Think workplace profile needs adju...

Testing over LAN. Also disconnected and reconnected at 14:17 via router GUI, which has shown no increase in speed.

Waz
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Crickers,

Please can you confirm the test was conducted using only one device connected to the router?

Crickers
Dabbler

Yes.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Crickers,

One final question on this one - is the router connected directly into the test socket that sits behind the faceplate of the BT Openreach socket? If not, could you please connect this way and re-run the test to see if the results improve? With us testing the connection at 7.3mb/s it seems like the speed loss is somewhere within your property.

Thanks,

Dave

Yes.

Crickers
Dabbler

Resync'd the modem this morning as the max attainable line speed had increased. Now sync'd at 8192 kbps and speedtest shows 7.23 Mbps which would match your testing.

A bit of history, previously had a lot of issues with my line which is about 2.6km in length and now use a HG612 (Hauwei) connected to the master socket and the Plusnet router WAN connected into the ethernet port of the HG612. Cat6 cables used throughout.

The Plusnet router when connected direct to the master socket using the DSL port has very poor performance and this is due the length of the line and the type of line card (Hauwei) used in the cabinet.

So now looking like 0.9 Mbps difference between sync speed and test speed, which is an improvement upon yesterday.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Crickers.

I'm glad to see that this is now syncing up within estimates for your line.

It's odd that you get the poor speed directly to the master socket but this isn't reflected via ethernet on another device. If it ain't broke etc, though I suppose.

Are you happy to monitor this and keep us updated if the speed drops outside of estimates again?

Best wishes,

Dave