cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync Below WBC Clean Estimate - no fault?

mattnewham

Sync Below WBC Clean Estimate - no fault?

Been seeing my sync speed and overall speed drop over the past few months, seems to be significantly worse than when I originally installed the service. Sync speed is quite a bit lower than WBC estimate on a clean line, upload speed is terrible, often I am testing below 1 meg Sad

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed   18.92 Mbps     0 Mbps 19.36 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 18.92 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 13.55 Mbps-19.36 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 19.36 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed   1.61 Mbps     0 Mbps 2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.61Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps

VDSL Range A (Clean) 32.4 22.4 7.4 5.5 20 Available -- Yes Yes -- VDSL Range B (Impacted) 25 11.7 6.6 2.7 8.8 Available -- Yes Yes --

Estimated line speed:There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.Current line speed:19.3 Mb

Im plugged into the master socket no extensions (removed them from the master socket at install time).

Plusnet support say no faults showing on line, but im clearly syncing much lower than expected, and upload speed is significantly lower than even the low end of impacted range - which smells fishy to me. Im not sure why I'd be given an upload profile of 2meg if there wasnt a fault.

With both of us working from home, this is becoming an issue! As an aside, does business broadband offer any noticeable advantages (besides support etc) - i.e reduced contention etc?

Thanks!

Matt

8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Sync Below WBC Clean Estimate - no fault?

Im not sure why I'd be given an upload profile of 2meg if there wasnt a fault.

Are you on the Unlimited Fibre product(as opposed to the Unlimited Fibre Extra) ? because that has a maximum upload speed of 2Mb.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mattnewham

Good spot - I hadn't realised that.

As my line wont support a download speed to warrant the cost of changing to extra, any idea whether Plusnet can give me the higher upload speed on the same package as I have now? As we use upload a fair bit (live streaming as part of one of our businesses)

mattnewham

Interestingly - I have just been reading about this, and the change from 40/20 to 55/10 and then new customers being offered 40/2 only.

I have had the fibre unlimited product since14/05/2013 and even before that I had the first FTTC products that were offered. 

I moved house in March 2015, and moved the fibre unlimited to the new property.

In January last year, I spoke to PN customer support about moving to Sky as they were doing an offer at the time, and PN reduced my monthlies to match Sky. At this point I suspect I was moved onto the 40/2 package.

I dont think this is right - I should be on 55/10 as I have been a Fibre unlimited customer since the product was offered, and at no point did anyone mention any reduction in upload speed.

Had I not started investigating this I would have never known, which I dont believe to be very good service from PN - who I've used for years.

My available download speed wont let me get anywhere near 80/20 but the 2mb upload cap is noticeable to me, and hopefully if I can resolve the download sync speed issue, I'd like to get the upload speed increased.

For a company that prided itself on transparency in the early days, Im a bit disappointed.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

In January last year, I spoke to PN customer support about moving to Sky as they were doing an offer at the time, and PN reduced my monthlies to match Sky. At this point I suspect I was moved onto the 40/2 package.

I dont think this is right - I should be on 55/10 as I have been a Fibre unlimited customer since the product was offered, and at no point did anyone mention any reduction in upload speed.

I suspect you're right, that was when your product was changed. There's been a few situations like this where people weren't advised about the change. Usuually they've been rectified pretty quickly by putting people back on the 55/10 product.

Hopefully one of the Help Team will spot this thread shortly...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mattnewham

No reply to this thread from support staff yet - and I have no updates on my support ticket either.

I can see other, more recent threads than mine getting responses from Plusnet staff. I realise everyone is busy but I'd like to have this resolved.

I can confirm there was no mention what so ever of any change to service when I called up to get the price reduced.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Gandalf  @Chris  Could someone pick up this thread please.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Matt,

I'm investigating this for you with a couple of my colleagues.

I'll get back to you shortly.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your patience

Having reviewed your account it looks like you were on Plusnet Unlimited Fibre which was the equivalent of Unlimited Fibre Extra [80/20] at that time. When you contacted us to recontract on to Unlimited Fibre, we stopped selling that 40/20 product.

I've replied to your ticket with more detail, I hope that helps clarify things.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet