Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swtiched to Plusnet - Service when from Ideal to Suboptimal

fwdlink
Dabbler

Swtiched to Plusnet - Service when from Ideal to Suboptimal

Hi All,

I have moved from BT Infinity 2 20/80 product across to PN using the transfer service.

I have my own modem Zyxel 8924-b10a and service was ideal with BT sync 20/80 and would run for days on end easily +/-2 months without a sync event.

On day of transfer was notified the landline was transferred over in the early morning, shortly thereafter the same morning within just a few hours was told broadband was ready. I left everything on not knowing exactly when I'd be cut over and knew I would just have to input my PN credentials for the PPoE connection.

- A resync did occur
- My profile has been reset - The DSLAM has reset DLM and turned off all protection I had - I am now Fast-path and G.INP is off (ES Errors are very high compared to prior with G.INP and some Interleaving 16 /8 )

Implications so far since the change:
Lost 7MB of Sync now 73Mbs / Attainable and Sync are nearly identical now with fluctuation to lower attainable than is synced, prior 80Mbs sync and Attainable was usually around 93Mbs and the high 80's depending upon SNR flux
Lost 10MB of effective Speed Down - Not sure if this is partly with all the errors on the line, but I was consistently 76-78Mbs now 66-67Mbs
Target SNR raised to 6d/15u, prior 3d/9u, reboot brought it to 6d/9u
Ping RTT increased to 13ms, was 9ms
ES in the several hundreds versus sub 50 D/U daily
No Resyncs since the one at cutover
DLM hasn't kicked in and still has done nothing to the line.

I am now 11 days in and the 48hr DLM interaction never took place, there have been no resyncs since the one at cutover from BT to PN.  I manually rebooted the modem on the 26th mid-day.

I have the worst stats I've ever had since being on Fiber, loads of ES errors and the lowest sync I've ever had, not to mention throughput.  I lost further sync speed with my reboot yesterday.

So interested in feedback:

-Why hasn't DLM come in after the 48hrs as is posted in the wiki as well across the forums

-Any ideas when G.INP along with other protection might kick back in?  I can see no reason why a cutover on the day would take me from ideal line to on-going wild line.  Luckily there have been no syncs other than the manual sync I performed on the 26th.

My stats are on MDWS same username and my cutover was on the 16th of November if you would like to compare.

Feedback appreciated....

4 REPLIES 4
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Swtiched to Plusnet - Service when from Ideal to Suboptimal

What you have experienced is quite normal when changing provider, it is effectively a full DLM reset so G.Inp is removed, default 6dB snrm and initially fastpath is applied so you may have lost a fair ammount of speed. Just be patient and wait for the mysteries of DLM to restore you to something comparable to your previous statistics. How long it will take is anybody's guess, could be days, weeks etc. It is certainly not 48 hours.Smiley

fwdlink
Dabbler

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

What you have experienced is quite normal when changing provider, it is effectively a full DLM reset so G.Inp is removed, default 6dB snrm and initially fastpath is applied so you may have lost a fair ammount of speed. Just be patient and wait for the mysteries of DLM to restore you to something comparable to your previous statistics. How long it will take is anybody's guess, could be days, weeks etc. It is certainly not 48 hours.Smiley

Thanks for the feedback, interesting point regarding fastpath, it definitely is applied and wasn't aware it could be contributing to the speed loss.

Hoping it's going to ramp me back up to normal sooner than later.....

dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@fwdlink as a matter of interest, since your original post has the DLM changed anything on your line yet?

fwdlink
Dabbler

@dgilbert2 Indeed you've hit at perfect timing...

So for also info to others, here's an update regarding my line and what's happened...

On exactly day 14 from switch over, and literally within the actual hour that my switch over had occurred earlier my line had a resync with reason code 1 (DLM) This happened on the 30th and the the following was applied to the line:

G.INP became active (like my line originally had when I was BT)

INP 49/0

Interleave 8/Off

I also received an e-mail from plusnet immediately indicating my new terrible line speed and a few items about expected speed etc.  So it is clear there is a connection between the back-end systems on PN and the cabinet DLM, too much coincidence here.  Though I'm not saying that CSR's can do anything with DLM just so I'm clear, but the back-end certainly is aware no doubt.

So on the downside, I lost a further 3 Meg on Sync and likewise further degradation on actual speed, so an overall total loss of 15Mbs, leaving the line the worst it has ever been in my entire time of having fiber.

I have had another resync yesterday due to my little one turning off the power yesterday and this resulted in a sync at 77972 when I turned things back on, but this was not related to DLM in case you look at my line stats on MDWS

Now what I'm hoping happens is that every 2 days DLM applies adjustments to bring me back to 80/20.  This is what I saw when I had a problem with the BTHH6 quite sometime ago, DLM adjusted the line every 2 days until I was back to normal.

Hope this helps others.