cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching on the 10th: a few questions

myredhotcar
Grafter

Switching on the 10th: a few questions

As per title I have upgraded my account from ADSL to FTTC and should be switching on the 10th, but have two questions:
Does the Hub One connect to the faceplate with standard RJL11 cable? If so I have been looking at a 3m RJ11 lead do I can put the router somewhere more practical. Is such an extension a a bad idea? If not should the cable be shielded?
My ADSL has been flaky at times and I have had best results with Broadcom chipset routers. It seems the Hub One is not Broadcom so I have been looking at the Billion 8800NL. Are there any other routers with Broadcom chipsets worth considering, preferably cheaper than the Billion but at least no more expensive?
TIA

7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Switching on the 10th: a few questions

If not should the cable be shielded?
Yes. However you will probably find that the faceplate and router will actually take an RJ45 ( 8 pin ) connector in which case a standard CAT6 ethernet patch cable will be fine ( and a lot cheaper than an RJ11 one )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cedlor
Grafter

If you have received your hub one why not connect it up - it works with adsl and will just change over on the due date.
It now comes with a 2 meter power cable and 2 meter data cable.
myredhotcar
Grafter

@ MisterW: It will be self install and I have the NTE5 socket. It looks like I may need an iplate for RJ45, will have to look into getting one
@ Cedlor: I only ordered today, unsure how long delivery takes for the router
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: MisterW
If not should the cable be shielded?
Yes. However you will probably find that the faceplate and router will actually take an RJ45 ( 8 pin ) connector in which case a standard CAT6 ethernet patch cable will be fine ( and a lot cheaper than an RJ11 one )

Are you sure about that? I'd be surprised if the modem/router accepted a RJ45 plug in its DSL socket.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

As above, its not RJ45 on the faceplate.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The Openreach SSFPs do accept RJ45 plugs, and I did buy an overpriced bit of CAT5 cable with an RJ45 plug on one end and RJ11 on the other.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The VDSL faceplate will definitely take an RJ45, yes it's only got 4 connectors but it will take an RJ45.
http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/btvdslfaceplate.html
Centralised vDSL filtering is then provided negating the need for plug in microfilters with an RJ45/RJ11 socket providing the connection for a modem/router.

Are you sure about that? I'd be surprised if the modem/router accepted a RJ45 plug in its DSL socket.

Yes, so was I, but I've just connected a TG589n VDSL modem/router in the office and I'm pretty sure that accepted an RJ45 plug in it's VDSL port as well

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.