Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching cabinets

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Switching cabinets

Have you ever heard of people actually speaking to each other? It is possible for someone in Plusnet to speak to OpenReach to find out if a pair is available.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unfortunately all ordering needs to go through the ordering system, if we tried to call regarding this we'd simply be told to check the ordering system and use that.
I understand the frustration but moving cabinet isn't something we'd be able to request, and we are providing a service within the estimates agreed when the contract was signed up.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

I didn't say anything about placing an order! I said find out if a pair is available in the first place. If yours and OpenReach' s systems actually prevent people from speaking to each other,  then the whole lot needs a damn good shake up. Your customer had better go to the competition then if this is Plusnet's best effort.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
I didn't say anything about placing an order! I said find out if a pair is available in the first place.

And that would help the OP how? To have a new line, you need to place an order.
Chris
Legend

Querying spare pairs, line availability and placing orders is all via the ordering system. Unfortunately as the records for this address are routed via cabinet 1, this is the cabinet any new orders for the address would go through.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

How does the speed estimate using the address checker compare with the current line?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend

Address checker gives the same as the phone number on the estimates.
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: AndyH
And that would help the OP how? To have a new line, you need to place an order.

Do you work for Plusnet Provisioning? No. So how do you know that one of the more senior staff in Provisioning can't ask a contact in OpenReach about the situation? But hey, come to think of it, with all the OpenReach information that you have access to, if the OP tells you the Exchange, Cab and DP, you could look it up, eh?
Edit: spelling.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Do you work for Plusnet Provisioning? No. So how do you know that one of the more senior staff in Provisioning can't ask a contact in OpenReach about the situation?

Perhaps you've missed what Chris said above?  Huh Huh
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

To be fair, AndyH is right.
As Chris has already stated, records for the address show Cabinet 1. If this was just changed off the back of a phone call to Cabinet 10, then that would make current cabling/routing incorrect and cause data integrity issues.
Unfortunately as has been mentioned previously, we won't be able to re-route the line to a different cabinet and won't be able to get a new line installed from a different cabinet, due to the routing details for the address.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Anotherone
Champion

@HarryB
I did NOT suggest that is was changed off the "back of a phone call",  I suggested somebody ask questions of Openreach!
@AndyH
As you don't work for Plusnet and you can't look up the data, your remarks are somewhat meaningless.
@Chris or HarryB
Have you spoken to anyone senior enough in provisioning to see what information they might be able to get from a contact in Openreach?
Have you asked if they can get a quote for an engineer to climb the pole and switch the pair - Officially?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I may be wrong here but I'd have thought it highly unusual for a pole to be connected to two cabinets?
The only reason I can imagine why a second cabinet might be connected to an existing pole would be if the existing cabinet (or cable to pole) had no more capacity when such capacity were required at the particular pole and it was impractical to increase capacity at/from the existing cabinet.  I suppose there may be a possible case where cable damage reduces the number of pairs available to the pole and it's cheaper to run a line from somewhere else in the vicinity than to replace a particular cable if it is 'beyond repair'.
BT OR understandably avoid, as much as possible, anything requiring digging, laying new ducting or running new multi-pair cables.
Unless someone can suggest other reasons why a pole may have multiple cabinet feeds (or tell me it's not as unusual as I imagine) then I also imagine that any request for a new line will be provided strictly from whichever cabinet/cable has the capacity (spare pair(s)) available - that's not to say that there couldn't be dialogue at an appropriate level to actually find out what could/would be done if a new line were requested.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anotherone
Champion

Does it matter w23? If someone doesn't ask questions of OpenReach, then you don't know the answers.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I've worked in a provisioning role for the vast majority of my time at Plusnet and also dealt with provisioning issues as part of my role within the Customer Relations Team and for complaints handed over to me from Andy Baker. I have also encountered similar issues in the past, where I have had no luck in getting lines moved to different cabinets. At the time, my manager on provisioning also advised me this wouldn't be possible for us to arrange.
If the records for an address state a line should be connected to cabinet 1, and the line is connected to cabinet 1. Everything is as it should be from a provisioning point of view.
If the records for an address state a line should be connected to cabinet 1, and we place an order with our suppliers, or ask them where they will connect the line, they will connect this to the cabinet advised in the routing details for the line.
I have seen it in the past where a line is connected to a cabinet different to the one advised on the records, at which point the line was re-routed to the correct cabinet. However as this situation currently stands, the line is connected to the correct cabinet as per the records for the address and the line.
Further than this, I'm slightly confused as to what you expect us to ask Openreach.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for your reply Harry.
Well I thought what JK wanted as mentioned in the OP was clear.
Jim also summarised it in reply #8.
So based on the information already provided in the thread, ask Openreach is there a spare pair between DP (whatever, not mentioned here) and Cabinet 10? What would it cost to move someone from that DP on Cabinet 1 to Cabinet 10 and how would you place an order for that if possible?
Failing that, and if a spare pair were available, can an order for a new (separate) line be placed and for it to be connected to Cabinet 10 and how would you place such a specific order?
I really don't see that it's not possible for a human to human contact to ask those questions. We all know that the current Plusnet and Openreach provisioning systems have their "limitations" (I'm being polite), but really, this computer says no stuff shouldn't prevent Dialogue!
And if Plusnet really can't manage that, then I refer JK back to what spoon whittler said in reply #12 and what I said in reply #17.