cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching cabinets

gunny

Switching cabinets

I am on fibre at the moment which my nearest cabinet is a couple of streets away & i get about 8mbps, in the last few days there has been a new cabinet built outside my house & i wondered how i could get connected to it as its so near ?

please help.

9 REPLIES 9
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Switching cabinets

if you find out, many people would be interested. The normal answer given (on other sites) is that you cannot get changed between cabinets.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

I don't believe that's possible There isn't any way for the public to contact Openreach, even then as your already connected else where they are not going to disconnect you from it just because there is now a cab outside your home, as you say yourself your connected to one that is streets away it wouldn't surprise me if the new cab is to serve those streets away from you. 

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Is it actually a BT Fibre Cab? In any event, also critical to all this is where your PCP Cab is!

etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

I very much doubt BT would re-route you're line to put you on the nearest cabinet.

Before I moved location, my pcp cab was on a different estate to the one I was living on. Nothing I could do about it unfortunately
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
simoncraddock
Grafter

Maybe a 2nd line would be, then cancel the first. Bit of a gamble though.

Anotherone
Champion

It could be a gamble indeed. You'd certainly be advised to use the DSL Checker to see what speeds are being predicted. A postcode may give a different result from a phone number if there is no plan to move lines (certainly not guaranteed).

In the particular example given above, there are two significant points -
If it is indeed an Openreach Fibre Cab, you don't know what Openreach are planning to do with it. They might be planning to transfer some lines BUT it might just be to provide some additional Fibre circuits.
Secondly, as I mentioned before, it's the distance from the PCP cabinet that is also significant because there will be jumper cables between the PCP and the Fibre cab, so it's the total distance from the Fibre Cab to the PCP and then from PCP to the EU that's important.

There are instances where new combined PCP & Fibre Cabs are being installed, I don't know if there is information about where those might be. In any case, if a Cab has just been installed it will be weeks/months before it becomes active.The best bet for information is to go and chat to an Openreach engineer when you see one working on the Fibre Cab.

gunny

Thanks everyone for your replies i will investigate on predicted speeds from different cabs & then try & do some shouting about & see what comes up, thanks again all Smiley 

gunny

Justa thought, if i were to change ISP would BT not then re connect me to the nearest cabinet ? Or is that to logical ?

Anotherone
Champion

No, your connection will not change just by moving ISP and remaining on Fibre. As I said, have a chat with the Openreach engineers and see what is planned for that Cabinet.
And you won't be able to "investigate" predicted speeds from "different" cabs, that's not how the system works. The reason I suggested using a postcode (rather than your phone number - which will only give what you've got) is that if houses in your postcode not currently on Fibre are going to be connected to the new Cab, it may give different speed estimates, but I'd guess you may not get that sort of data anyway until the Cab is active as it won't show on the system.