cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched to Unlimited fibre - downloads <2MB and no FTTP in area?

FIXED
surfingpigeon

Switched to Unlimited fibre - downloads <2MB and no FTTP in area?

Internet nightmare - needed to renew subscription and would only let me renew to a fibre one. Turns out fibre isn't available here - 

Still something must have been switched over because as of the date of change (1st) internet speeds have been horrendous. I know there can be DLM issues after a switch (although I've no idea what it was switched to?) to sort out stable speeds - but since yesterday downloads have been between 1-2MBps and upload is 0.5.. 

New router was supposed to be sent but never arrived. 

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Re: Switched to Unlimited fibre - downloads <2MB and no FTTP in area?

Hi @surfingpigeon  Your screenshot of the availability checker seems to show that Fibre(FTTC) is available.

What model router do you currently have ? If it's a Hub one , can you post the details from the helpdesk ( redact any peronal information like username ). Login to the router, go to Troubleshooting and then Helpdesk.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

surfingpigeon

Doh! Thanks @MisterW - it mentions at the bottom of the table that FTTP isn't available so I was a little confused (FTTC makes way more sense - we're pretty rural). I've attached the help-desk info here (it's an old Hub Zero router).

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Fix

@surfingpigeon  ok , so your Fibre(FTTC) upgrade hasn't happened yet. In a way this is good news, since the router you currently have isn't compatible with FTTC, and so if the upgrade had happened you would have no internet!

You WILL need the new router, a Hub one, when the upgrade happens.

It's quite normal for any original upgrade date to be pushed back due to Openreach engineer availability. The routers are normally sent out to arrive a few days before the upgrade.

It might be worth logging into the member centre and seeing if there are any service notices (closed questions) relating to your changed upgrade date. Login to the member centre and then goto https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search

If there's no information there, probably best to give the CSC a call (although they are quite busy) to find out when your upgrade is actually scheduled and when the router will be dispatched.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

surfingpigeon

Thanks for walking me through that @MisterW - really appreciate the help!

Must just be a coincidence that the speeds have dropped off this weekend (it can be a little temperamental here). No service notices about changing the upgrade date but did see that one of them now talks about the 11th rather than the 1st so I'll give them a call next week to confirm the router will show up. Cheers!