Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched to Plusnet 3 Weeks ago, Speed and Latency still slow

Jimbowe
Dabbler

Switched to Plusnet 3 Weeks ago, Speed and Latency still slow

Hi,

I would be grateful if someone from PlusNet Help Team could reply please. I switched from TalkTalk 3 weeks ago on a 38/10 connection Modem sync 37999/9999 with Ping latency of 8ms, before that I was on BT 52/10, Syncing at 51999/9999.

My Welcome letter said I would get a speed of between 62Mbps - 80Mbps, although no Guaranteed Minimum could be given at the time of order ??, even so,the Guaranteed Min should be between these figures, and certainly not dipping below 60.

I have a preferred Modem of a Draytek V130 and V2830 Router, but at the moment I have left the PlusNet one fitted. the UL sync is on the money at 20000, but the DL is only 45000. Ping times 28Ms

My SNR on TT was also 3DB, its now 6DB

I seem to have been put on Interleave on DL, this would explain the high Ping times, I have attached a screen shot of the VDSL Stats from my V130 Modem on the day of the switch.

I have refrained from posting following a read from Johno`s Post about waiting for 2 weeks for the DLM to stabilise, but nothing has changed. 

My first post was really a heads up to Triceratops, which replicates pretty much exactly my issue, in the hope that in two weeks I too would have better DL speeds ping times.

I have preformed all the usual tests like Direct connection to master test socket, I have no internal Phone wire.

One request I would like is for a GEA test, please, thank you.

I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Vdsl Stat 2.jpgVdsl Stat 2 More.jpg

Plusnet.jpg

21 REPLIES 21
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Switched to Plusnet 3 Weeks ago, Speed and Latency still slow

Hi @Jimbowe 

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm sorry to see you're still experiencing slower than expected speeds.

My Welcome letter said I would get a speed of between 62Mbps - 80Mbps, although no Guaranteed Minimum could be given at the time of order ??, even so,the Guaranteed Min should be between these figures, and certainly not dipping below 60.

There are times we can't provide a guaranteed speed until a line has been provisioned although I believe we'd make you aware of this before submitting the order which you'd have to acknowledge before going ahead.

I can see your minimum guaranteed speed is 51.7mbps, however this is generally only used for contract purposes as we'll be happy to investigate a speed fault that's below your current estimates which looks to be between 60mbps to 80mbps.

My SNR on TT was also 3DB, its now 6DB

At a guess I'd say that this increase in the signal to noise ratio(SNR) is the cause for the speed drop. If that's the case it appears that this may have been masking a fault with your service as your speeds without 3dB are below where they should be.

Having said that it's difficult to advise definitively as our tests aren't showing any issues and as you've already done the troubleshooting we'd ask I'd recommend raising a fault to us Here so we can arrange an engineer to investigate this.

I've attached a copy of your GEA Test below:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEU[redacted]

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 45.6 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 443.2
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 10:00 to 22:00
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 14
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-05-07T11:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 45.2 Mbps 45.6 Mbps 45.4 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 19.9 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 19.9 Mbps
Up Time 787.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.7 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-05-20T10:46:24.237+01:00 2019-05-20T11:01:24.237+01:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

If you can nudge us over here once you've raised the fault we'll be happy to pick this up as soon as we can.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jimbowe
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick response Gandalf,

I can see your minimum guaranteed speed is 51.7mbps, however this is generally only used for contract purposes as we'll be happy to investigate a speed fault that's below your current estimates which looks to be between 60mbps to 80mbp

I was wondering where you got the 51.7 Guaranteed speed from, but then I found an Email in Spam, sent just on 2 weeks explaining it, it also goes on to say my current line speed is 78Mb ? (I wish). Is the Guaranteed Speed actual Download Speed or Modem Sync speed ?

Having said that it's difficult to advise definitively as our tests aren't showing any issues and as you've already done the troubleshooting we'd ask I'd recommend raising a fault to us Here so we can arrange an engineer to investigate this.

I appreciate the speed in which you are raising this as a fault with a view to arrange an Engineer visit (TalkTalk where not that quick !), however, before I do, could someone possibly explain a couple of things on my GEA test please.

Interference Pattern - Regular Interference Observed Daily

Interference Duration Longest Occurrence - From 10:00 to 22:00

Interference Location - Customer Premise

Radio Frequency Ingress - Not Detected

Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise - Not Detected

Cross Talk - Not Detected

What I see here is that the problem is in my house, a lot if Interference daily. So the 443 metres of Copper Cable from the Green Cab to my master Socket is fine, No REIN, RF or Crosstalk. The PN Router sits 10 Inches form the MS, no other Internal Wiring, apart from structured cabling for my Home LAN, would a BT 8500 Dect phone cause problems, that sits above the Router. How does the test differentiate between street and home cabling.

I had a fault whilst with TT, again slow speeds, but having talked to the Openreach Engineer, I was apparently on Two wires from Different pairs, I basically wasn't on a twisted pair, Crosstalk would have been terrible, but the test shows fine, just thought I would mention it

Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for getting back to me.

it also goes on to say my current line speed is 78Mb ? (I wish)

The current line speed is basically a profile on your account from a bygone era from when we had traffic prioritisation. It should always match the IP profile of the line via automated delta reports we receive, sometimes it can be a bit slow to update.

Is the Guaranteed Speed actual Download Speed or Modem Sync speed ?

It used to refer to the line's sync speed, but recently it changed to throughput/download speed on a wired connection. 

I appreciate the speed in which you are raising this as a fault with a view to arrange an Engineer visit (TalkTalk where not that quick !), however, before I do, could someone possibly explain a couple of things on my GEA test please.

No problem, as you've done the troubleshooting I figured there wasn't much else to suggest so without further ado... Smiley

Interference Pattern - Regular Interference Observed Daily

Interference Duration Longest Occurrence - From 10:00 to 22:00

Interference Location - Customer Premise

What I see here is that the problem is in my house, a lot if Interference daily. So the 443 metres of Copper Cable from the Green Cab to my master Socket is fine, No REIN, RF or Crosstalk. The PN Router sits 10 Inches form the MS, no other Internal Wiring, apart from structured cabling for my Home LAN, would a BT 8500 Dect phone cause problems, that sits above the Router. How does the test differentiate between street and home cabling.

Ah fair, to be honest I'm not entirely sure what the interference in the test could be referring to, or how the test differentiates between the line and what's in your home, I reckon I'd struggle to definitively find that last part out.

I wouldn't have thought electrical interference you have from everyday devices would cause a speed drop like you're experiencing and also not cause other symptoms like an intermittent connection.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jimbowe
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply Gandalf, there pretty much my feelings also, so have clicked that fault link you sent me and a Ticket has now been raised.

Really appreciate the help so far !!Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, I've added a reply to your fault ticket which you can view and reply to from here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=190426203 If you can nudge us over here once you've responded we'll be happy to pick this back up as soon as we can

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Using a portable analog radio (aka a tranny radio) you will pickup all sorts of radiated noise over a range of frequencies emitted by your power cubes, tv, and anything else electronic/electrical.

These signals can be induced (received) by  incorrect wiring carrying vdsl/adsl signals (remember this is wireless technology), or via the wiring in the house (ie conductive).

Also while it may show as internal, if its conducted/radiated from an external source, how would a GEA test know the location of the source?

Tracking this type of problem is very difficult, solution, FTTP, then in all probability any Radio Frequency Interference is more than likely to be internal (picked up on bad ethernet wiring, poor shielding of equipment), unless you are living next door to a radio transmitter.

Jimbowe
Dabbler

If the engineer finds the problem is with your internal wiring, your equipment, the condition of your property or the Openreach network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like building or garden works or if no fault is found, you will receive a charge of £65 to cover the cost of the engineer. This charge will also apply if you miss the appointment or you cancel without giving us 2 working days' notice.

Just a bit worried about this £65 charge, specifically the if no fault is found bit. Based on this post and the GEA test, are we in agreement that there is a fault on my line ?, need to feel a bit of reassurance if Openreach are unable to find a problem that I wont be hit with a bill and still have a slow line Sad
Thanks

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Excess white space removed.

Jimbowe
Dabbler

Just picking up on a point you raised about bad ethernet wiring, I have a 24 port Switch in the garage, which floods all the rooms in the house with CAT6, with one Uplink to the Router in the living Room, 6 inches from the filtered Master socket, the phone is plugged in there also, 12 inches above, the cable comes in from the street right into the back of the MS, virtually no cable length on the BT side in my house. Could that Cat6 uplink cable induce Noise onto the BT Copper side of things if indeed the structured cabling was acting like an Antenna for Noise.  (Its not by the way, its a sound job, Smiley ). And yes FTTP all the way, don't think my exchange is accepting orders yet Sad Alas, I only have a portable DAB Radio,

Thanks for replying.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Jimbowe 

I would suggest not running power - phone - ethernet cables in close proximity to each other, especially on long runs..

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Appreciate the concern, yes I think we can agree there’s definitely a fault somewhere. If the 1st engineer doesn’t find a fault with your service and things remain the same we’d likely just arrange a 2nd engineer to investigate further. 

We’ll only charge you a call out fee passing it on from our suppliers if it’s absolutely valid, that process can generally take up to 90 days following a fault investigation closing as we robustly defend all engineer charges before/if accepting any.

Hope this helps. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jimbowe
Dabbler

Thats great, youve put me at ease now, i will reply to the other post with preferred engineer dates, thanks again Gandalf.
Smiley
Jimbowe
Dabbler

Ive responded to the Ticket with my preffered time, hopefully the openreach diary has a slot in May ?
Thanks.
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Morning @Jimbowe 

I've booked the appointment updated the ticket with the engineer date and time. 

Let us know how it goes

Thanks, 

MoR

Jimbowe
Dabbler

Hello Gandalf / MOR

Openreach Engineer came this morning at 08:10, and confirmed that there are no wiring faults in my house, or on the Copper line, and using his test equipment he too, could only train the line to 51Mb at my Master Socket. He went to the Green Cab where the DLM is and plugged into the Fibre Port and could only get 60MB, apparently should have been 80Mb, he told me the fibre port was faulty, don't know weather he plugged me into another one, maybe the report he sends you will give more info. He told me the line is now training again, probably another 10 days, in which he said the speed will increase. I am a bit dubious about that, as I thought a DSL line always trains down, could it train up 20Mb in 10 days ?. He also suggested there may be a cap on my line  or port ?. I would have thought that a port on a DLM would service a number of houses ?. I will wait with anticipation for the next 10 days to see what happens. Can you tell with a new GEA test if I am on another port ?

One positive is that I seem to be on Fastpath for Download now, and my ping times have improved by 10ms. Is G-inp enabled on a Re-Train ?. I have now installed my Draytek V130 Modem and will show below the VDSL Stats. Shouldn't the Attainable Rate be a lot higher, say 70Mb, then the Actual Rate increases over the 10 day Re-Train, or will the Attainable Rate increase over 10 days ?, this confuses me as the Attainable is lower than the Actual, but on the VDSL Test early on in the post on Day one they are reversed ?. 

Any comments would be greatly appreciated Smiley (A lot of questions I know Sad )

Thanks.

Screenshot_2019-05-28-15-28-51.png