Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched from standard Fibre to Superfast and see no speed change

Jcdek
Grafter

Re: Switched from standard Fibre to Superfast and see no speed change

Speedtest2.jpg

Just carried out another speedtest. Nobody but myself is currently using the internet here.

Jcdek
Grafter

Hi Tonwnman,

Firefox and Brave Browser. Edge won't run the tester for some reason.

Jcdek
Grafter

Should the IP Profile show as 80 DL and 20 UL instead of 45 DL and 20 UL?

Jcdek
Grafter

As a comparison, this is what I was getting. Note the lower DL SNRM.

Stats3.jpg

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

No.  The DS IP profile is a function of the sync speed.  I do not know what the factor is for VDSL, but with ADSL the DS IP profile is 88.2% of the sync speed.

There are two IP Profiles or at least there certainly was on the "old" network and there still is if you have a static IP address - the one set by BTw and that used by Plusnet.  In some circumstances which have never been fully bottomed out, BTw systems sometimes fail to pass over to Plusnet changes to the IP Profile.

EDIT: Seeking to find a reference for this, I found this in the DSL bible - ::. Kitz - bRAS + IP Profile .:: - it advises that for VDSL the profile is 96.8 of the sync speed, thus your profile should be around 49mbps, which is higher than what the BTw report advises.

I would not be overly fusses here in the tweaking at the margins on a bit more sync speed from an improved SNRM, when you get into that space, the ice beneath your feet is getting overly thin.  Anything below 6dB should be considered as icing and cherries on top!  The cause of the observed data speeds being less thane the profile is where the focus needs to be.  For a point of clarity, the minimum guaranteed speed is RAW SYNC speed not usable DATA transfer speed.

Other than we are all greedy and want as much as we can get, what is the real world impact on this running a bit slower than it might do or once did do?  There are limits of physics in some places - circuit cross talk for example - the more users there are in a cabinet, cable bundle, the greater the cross talk and consequently the higher the inter-circuit noise resulting in slower speeds to deliver the same SNRM.  I do not know what is going on for your specific line, but I can point to potential issues ... some of which might not be fixable by BTOR and will exist with any ISP.

@Gandalf might a different stability / performance profile deliver any difference (improvement is subjective) here?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jcdek
Grafter

I'm hoping you experts can please something to me.

What is limiting my DL and UL speed to 9Mbps UL and 34Mbps DL?

Like I mentioned previously it appears as if I am getting a 10/40 Mbps service. Given I know my line can run at 55Mbps something must be slowing down the speed now.

As previously stated we have 2x Fibre lines to the property and the other runs at 60+Mbps (not with Plusnet).

All of these issues only started after my recent recontract.

Jcdek
Grafter

I should also add that in the many many years I have been with Plusnet I have on odd occasion had sudden speed drops and speaking with Plusnet customer services eventually it was resolved and each time they told me 'There were settings that needed changing'. They would however never tell me what these settings were but suffice to say shortly after these conversations my speed was restored.

I'm not an expert in these things hence why I have come to this forum for help, but it all seems a bit odd to me and I can't help but think this same issue with 'settings' is again the issue I am facing here.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @Jcdek 

There's nothing our side which would be restricting your speed and there's no congestion seen at the exchange either.

@Jcdek wrote:

I should have clarified earlier my home network is all wired so speedtests are done via the modem directly to the master socket.

This part is interesting as I don't quite understand this setup. Is your laptop or computer wired directly into the router using an ethernet cable with nothing in-between like powerline adapters or switches?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jcdek
Grafter

Hi Gandalf,

Thanks for the reply.

My Pc is connected directly to the router via ethernet and the router to the modem via ethernet. The modem is in bridge mode and connected to the BT master socket only 2 feet away. Hope that makes sense.

I am able to log in directly to my modem to get the Xdsl stats as well as carry out speedtests from there too.

I also re-synced again this morning and my connection speed went up to 50Mbps. I still only managed 40Mbps using both the BT Speedtest and the Think broadband though. Still think there's an issue somewhere and I don't believe it is in my home network settings.

These issues started whilst I still had the Plusnet router connected and at that time my connection was at 39999Kbps which as already discussed suggested I was stuck on a 40/10 profile. This appears to have changed now so can you please tell me what would have caused this to change? Is it a manual change by Plusnet, BTW or something in the exchange done automatically?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@Jcdek wrote:

My Pc is connected directly to the router via ethernet ...

For the avoidance of doubt and testing ambiguity, can you please affirm that WiFi is switched off?

Though a device might well have an ethernet cable plugged into it, if the WiFi is still switched on there can be no assurance that the communication (in this case a speed test) is not being performed over WiFi.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jcdek
Grafter

Yes, can confirm both the WiFi is off (both 2.4 and 5) and that the Pc in question is connected directly via ethernet and has no WiFi at all (only ethernet).

Jcdek
Grafter

I was reading this earlier on this site
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

Can anybody please tell me what banding I'm on or how I can find out?

Jcdek
Grafter

Another resysnc at 2am, now synced at 52.4Mbps but speedtest showing only 44Mbps (same as last sync at 49Mbps).

Stats4.jpgSpeedtest3.jpg

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for the detail @Jcdek 

Now that's looking better, I'd say that a throughput of 44mbps is around about right for a sync speed of 52mbps, especially for a line that has retransmission enabled because this will give a lower IP profile, taking a bigger chunk out of your throughput compared to if you didn't have retransmission.

Retransmission is a form of error correction the software at the cabinet can apply. The full profile is: "Downstream: 0.128M-80M with Retransmission (Low). Upstream: 0.128M-20M with no error protection"

Can you try though plugging your Hub One back in without your modem/router and retest?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jcdek
Grafter

Hi Gandalf,

Thanks for the reply. I can maybe switch the modem/router out for the Hub one as a test but not until later in the week. My kids wouldn't forgive me if the internet was off when I went to work at 5am due to technical issues so I can't risk it.

I'll update you when I get a chance to.

What is it you are hoping to see from the swap?