cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched from standard Fibre to Superfast and see no speed change

Jcdek
Grafter

Re: Switched from standard Fibre to Superfast and see no speed change

No further update. Anything I can do to get the attention of somebody from Plusnet???

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @Jcdek and apologies for the delayed staff response.

From what I can see your line's banded at 40mbps "Downstream: 0.128M-40M with Retransmission (High). Upstream: 0.128M-20M with no error protection" so I've arranged for your line to be reset now which should go through within 3 working days. Let us know if you haven't seen an increase after then so we can investigate further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jcdek
Grafter

Many thanks Gandalf for your response and swift action.

👍

Jcdek
Grafter

Hi Gandalf,

I am now synced at 46.7Mbps but when I carry out the BT Speedtest I still only ever get 33.8Mbps each time.

Any idea what's going on?

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Jcdek, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're continuing to have speed issues as of recent. I can confirm when testing your connection from this side currently we're seeing 46.7Mbps download reaching the router with no signs of errors or underlying issues. Can I ask then, since your profile was corrected, have your turned the router off and back on at all? If then then I'd recommend giving this a go.
As always, I'd recommend when running any speed tests to make sure there's nothing using the connection at the time as this can skew results and if you're still seeing lower speeds on the BT Speed test then I'd recommend trying another as sometimes the speed test site can be the cause. Let us know how it goes.

Jcdek
Grafter

Thanks BD for the reply.

I did the speed tests at 5am this morning. There wasn't anybody else online and this was before and then after having rebooted the modem.

I'll try it again tomorrow morning on an different speed test site and see what I get.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problem @Jcdek I generally like to use the ThinkBroadband speedtester Here.

If your speed's still slow, are you testing on a wired or wireless connection?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jcdek
Grafter

Hi Gandalf,

Thanks again for your reply.

I should have clarified earlier my home network is all wired so speedtests are done via the modem directly to the master socket.

I'll try the speedtester you linked to tomorrow morning and report back my findings although I did run the 'Speedtest.net' one this morning and still got the same 33Mbps.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Does this user have a fixed IP address ... ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jcdek
Grafter

Hi Townman,

I don't believe so, I've certainly never asked for one.

If you can please tell me how I check this I will gladly get the required info.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

User portal - broadband, but I'm not assured that it will show for sure.  I have a static IP address but I do not see the configuration page.  If you are not sure then you are unlikely to have one, which eliminates one known gremlin which causes exactly this issue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jcdek
Grafter

Hi Gandalf,

So in my opinion there is clearly an issue here and this is why I think so.

Checking my line stats this morning shows a resysnc this morning with my DL connection now at 50.5Mbps and the DL SNRM at 4.9dB (this was not done by me).

Stats1.jpg

I carried out the Think Broadband speedtest as advised and here are the results.

Speedtest1.jpg

I should add, this is via the modem, no other devices on and wired directly to the master socket (BT dual faceplate type, there are no cable extensions).

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The next suspect has to be exchange backhaul congestion!

Jcdek
Grafter

Thanks Townman,

But what does that mean and what can I do about it?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It is the network capacity between the exchange and the internet.

There is nothing that you can do with it, mentioning it is a "hint" asking staff to consider it, in case it has not been examined.  It is a place of last resort.  Given that the line stats look good, one need to look elsewhere for the problem.  One usually suspects Wi-Fi performance, then retransmission over heads due to high line error rates, but they do not appear to apply here.  After that one has to examine other parts of the network ... and the performance of the end points - your PC and the speed test server.

Out of interest which browser are you using and have you compared results with different ones?