cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched from Plusnet Broadband to fibre - now slower !

redrobbo
Dabbler

Switched from Plusnet Broadband to fibre - now slower !

About 10 days ago I switched from Plusnet broadband to fibre , we have had regular broadband for years and been with plusnet for about  20 months - our regular broadband had been pretty good with speeds at a hard wired pc of 13-14 mbps , however during the lockdown period speeds and page loading times were starting to suffer .  

Well now after switching to fibre things are on the whole worse .

After ringing customer service today I have got the "one"  router fixed to the test socket and I will speak again on monday . download speeds are between 15 & 28  , but the pages loading times and usability are pretty poor   , anyone shed any light on this  as it is  unimpressive.     

thanks

Steve 

Tags (3)
7 REPLIES 7
redrobbo
Dabbler

Re: Switched from Plusnet Broadband to fibre - now slower !

Thanks for the comments and feedback ! 

redrobbo
Dabbler

Re: Switched from Plusnet Broadband to fibre - now slower ! 5.97 MBPS FIBRE

UPDATE.

I have just spoken to Plusnet for the fourth time in as many days , I've just done yet another speedtest with the BT wholesale software and I am getting 5.97 mbps on fibre - this is appalling - if anyone is thinking about switching to Plusnet fibre  I would think twice , as stated previously our regular plusnet broadband was faster to use .

Plusnet please sort this out - you have one very frustrated ,unhappy customer here.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): All caps title/text edited as per Forum rules.

grahamn
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

The BT wholesale site is good in that you get the ip profile but that's about it. Try https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest for a more meaningful result. Even I get rubbish speeds according to BT Wholesale but it's just not accurate. Do ensure nothing else is running other than the web browser session with the test otherwise the results can be skewed.

redrobbo
Dabbler

hi Graham ,

thanks for the reply , it was Plusnet who told me to use the BT speed test !  lol 

I have tried the one you recommended , a couple of tests and I even manged 20mbps .

Just to give you a bit of background - I have been with plusnet sometime now , the only reason I opted to change to fibre was in the lockdown period we had noticed a drop in speed to load etc etc  ( but nothing like we have now !)   I have never been into figures and stats  but before we changed to fibre I took a few tests and found  we were getting around 13mps  ( never 5mbps !) very consistently and never had any real dramas . The reason I took the speedtest after "upgrading" was that    the performance had degraded so noticeably  with massive pages load times etc I  wanted to see what was going on or not as the case maybe.

So the tests after upgrading are a direct replication of conditions before , only difference is the new "one" router and fibre upgrade. We don't use wi fi that much.

I am so frustrated I  would happily switch back to reg broadband  to  get this sorted , plusnet have a new router being delivered .

any other ideas let me know ,

thanks

Steve  

grahamn
Rising Star

How long was the change of contract? Within 14 days? If so you can extricate yourself if they are unable to help. I will PM you with other thoughts, but just wanted to acknowledge your reply and to say I will follow-up...I get your frustration totally with PN.

redrobbo
Dabbler

I will need to check that , they postponed the switchover from the original date , I raised this issue within a day of fibre going live  this is pretty unusable ....   

grahamn
Rising Star

PM sent to you!