cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched To Fibre Today - Speeds Exactly The Same??

markjozy

Switched To Fibre Today - Speeds Exactly The Same??

Hi,

I moved from many years of ADSL to Unlimited Fibre (FTTC) today, I received an email just after midnight stating "Your product change is now complete" Cheesy

So this evening I set up my new Hub One as instructed & after a few minutes it was connected & away I went (or so I thought!!) Embarrassed

When I logged into the router settings I checked the stats which were (and still are) :

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:29:26
Downstream: 6.104 Mbps
Upstream: 979 Kbps

This is the exact same stats I had on ADSL - I logged onto the member centre & checked my line speed which showed as :

Telephone number:
01924******
Phone exchange:
BATLEY
Estimated line speed:
40Mb (This may vary between 41.3Mb and 57.4Mb) - Checked on 2017-02-06 13:10:46
Current line speed:
40 Mb

So I'm obviously set up for fibre as the line speed used to show as 5Mb.

After a couple of hours with no change to the speed (I expected it to start high & probably drop as it settled down?) I tried connecting to the master socket to eliminate any internal wiring (it was connected to my main PC in my office upstairs) but the stats were exactly the same Cry

I even restored the router to factory settings in case I'd messed something up but nothing's changed.

Could a member of staff please look into this for me & advise me on my next move - I did try phoning but gave up after an hour on hold.

I will try again tomorrow unless I get an answer here first, it just seems strange that the sync speeds are exactly the same as I had before the switch to fibre - it's as if I'm still on ADSL but if so, why the confirmation email?

Incidentally, it's probably not relevant to this problem but I received a second email 3 hours ago to say my router has been dispatched today (I received it last Friday - 4 days ago)?? Sad

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance Thumbs_Up

5 REPLIES 5
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Switched To Fibre Today - Speeds Exactly The Same??

Looks like you have fallen foul of the PN Emails Sad

you may be on FTTC on the PN system but not actually physically connected , hopefully one of the staff will pick this up and check for you  Thumbs_Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
markjozy

Thanks rongtw Thumbs_Up

I did think it was a bit strange as the confirmation email arrived at 00.58 on the day I was meant to switch - I was expecting it sometime during the day.

When I check my number on the BT Wholesale ADSL Checker it still says "There is an open order on your line which is due to complete on 21-Feb-2017?

It seems one email was premature & the other about hardware was a week late Huh

Hopefully a staff member can put me out of my misery soon Buck2

BTW: If the switch to fibre takes place, would my old setup on ADSL (Belkin ADSL2+ router) stop working as it still worked as normal before I swapped it for the Hub One?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just double checked your order and unfortunately it's hit a delay, we've been asked to check back on the 24th so we should have more info at that point.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
markjozy

Thanks @Chris I actually got through on the phone at the same time you replied Thumbs_Up

I now know that "Your product change is now complete" means just that - my contract has changed to fibre but not necessarily my line Sad

Here's hoping it's just something simple like an engineer delay & not demand outweighing supply.

I'll see what happens by the 24th & keep my fingers crossed Wink

markjozy

Could a staff member please try resetting my profile as I think it may be stuck Undecided

Since I checked this lunchtime, I've been syncing at around 20Mbps down & 2Mbps up but after running a few speed tests, my download speed was still around the 5.8Mbps mark & 0.8Mbps upload!

I tried rebooting the router & even resorted to a factory reset - this is my current sync speed :-

DSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:44:38
Downstream: 21.56 Mbps
Upstream: 2 Mbps

After running a few more speed tests just now, they were all around the same speed - the obvious difference being the upload speed has increased.

I also got a strange email this afternoon which said :-

The order we placed to change your upload speed has completed.

Your upload speed is now 2Mbit/s.

Kind regards,

Plusnet Customer Support

That's great but no mention of an upload speed increase?? Shocked

Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on this for me.

Thanks Thumbs_Up