Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch to fibre "complete" but still getting ADSL speed

Stu9560
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Switch to fibre "complete" but still getting ADSL speed

Greetings

I see this has been raised before on the forums but here goes anyway. I upgraded from ADSL to fibre and the email from PlusNet came 2 days ago saying that the product change is complete, estimated speed 38-40Mbps. But I'm  getting 8 so it looks like I'm still on ADSL. It's a Hub One and everything's working fine, other than the line speed.

From previous threads it seems I have to guess when the fibre actually comes on stream and reboot the router? Or do I get another notification?

I would have called support but the waiting time's an hour so I thought I'd check here first.

Cheers,

Stu

8 REPLIES 8
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Switch to fibre "complete" but still getting ADSL speed

@Stu9560

If you log onto the Plusnet Hub One Router and go to the Troubleshooting Section (top right corner). Once there click on the Helpdesk tab.

Look for the line starting 

23. Modulation:

And then compare the code to the table below,

ADSL1	   ADSL2     ADSL2+    VDSL	 VDSL2
Standard	G.992.1    G.992.3   G.992.5   G.993.1	 G.993.2

If the code is for ADSL then you haven't been upgraded to FTTC yet. If it is VDSL then you have been. Let us know what it says.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Stu9560
Dabbler

It says simply "G.992.5 Annex A"

(I like your username - somewhat ironic!)

Which means I'm still on ADSL if I've understood your reply correctly.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Stu9560

Yes you are still on ADSL and the upgrade has not been done.

Yet again the infamous Plusnet computer systems have sent out a "You've be upgraded" email when all they have done to date is update their own accounting system.

You need to sit on the phone and wait so that you can find out when they intend to actually do the work.

As you are using the Plusnet Hub One anyway as soon as the work is finally completed, the router will just drop the line and restart on FTTC for you.

(Technically as soon as the engineer moves the cable at the cabinet, the line will drop and once it is reconnected and the Openreach systems updated then the router will log onto Plusnet's system using FTTC)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Stu9560
Dabbler

Ok. Thank you for explaining what's going on. If the router does it all automatically I'll wait for a few days and check the line speed.

I know PlusNet guys patrol the forum so if you're on this thread: You need to send out the "change complete" email when the work has been done at the cabinet, ie, when the change is actually complete. I presume the billing will switch to fibre only after the engineer has done his thing.

Stu9560
Dabbler

Update: modulation now says 993.2 and line speed 40 Mbps. So I guess I'm on fibre 🙂

Thank you!

mxsytfc

Agghh...just became a victim of the "Your product change is now complete" email.  Got my email yesterday and spent several hours trying to reconfigure my modem/router.  Just contacted customer services and apparently my upgrade to fibre won't be complete until tomorrow. 

I can't believe they send out such a misleading email.  It's guaranteed to lose Plusnet customers. "We'll do you proud" my [-Censored-]!

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Avoidance of swear filter removed.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

But looking at it from the Plusnet side, they get to collect their revenue earlier. 

Their internal automation / billing system has been in serious need of a major overhaul for about five years, but currently it is stuck in the planning / design phase.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Stu9560
Dabbler

The comms are frustrating, especially since you'd expect an ISP to be pretty good at sending out emails! And I don't  see why PlusNet can't send a notice for the account change and then another for the exchange work.

The premature billing did occur to me as well. In my case it's only an extra fiver a month so won't break the bank but still, it's the principle.

It was more confusion than inconvenience because the ADSL connection was fine while I was waiting the extra 5 days for the fibre. So no harm done, just a bit of a niggle when there was no need for it.