cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch to Fibre hasn't happened....?

p_tips
Dabbler

Re: Switch to Fibre hasn't happened....?

I tried the router with the master test socket and RJ11 cable into VSDL on their own but it didn't work.  The router light flashes orange with a broadband symbol, while my tablet shows a 'sign in' pop up.  Trying to sign in does not work and loops back around to the sign in page after an unsuccessful attempt.  After putting the RJ11 back into the DSL socket my router works as normal again, apart from mum's Tunstall panic alarm which says the line is disconnected.

To help here is our layout

Lobby: Master socket > microfilter > BT Home Hub 5 (+ BT ethernet homeplug for the backroom)

Kitchen: Microfilter > Mothers Tunstall panic alarm > Call blocker > BT cordless phone

Backroom: BT homeplug WIFI hotspot

All devices connect via WIFI

While using RJ11 with DSL and master test socket mum's panic repeats 'line disconnected'.  Using the normal master socket and router DSL connection her alarm works again.  I'm not sure were the problem lies in my property, but it's as though I'm still on the old broadband connection.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Why are you switching connections on the Home Hub?  VDSL and  ADSL connections are both through the DSL RJ11 port. What do you mean by RJ11 Cable into VDSL? The WAN port is for a separate VDSL2 modem which BT used to supply but is not needed with the Home Hub 5. Using the test socket will disconnect the kitchen extension so that explains the alarm warning. @Gandalf says you have a fibre connection and 40Mbps sync speed but your PlusNet profile may need updating to get the faster speeds. Hopefully a forum rep may see this and sort it out or you may need to call customer service.

p_tips
Dabbler

@RealAleMadrid

Contused myself assuming I needed to plug in to the red WAN socket, not realizing both VDSL and  ADSL run thorugh the DSL RJ11.  Perhaps my PlusNet profile may need updating  as you say, I'm sure a rep can clarify to narrow down further. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I've checked the profile and it's showing as correct.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
p_tips
Dabbler

@Gandalf

Tried a couple of speedtests with my Linx 7 Win 8 tablet, I used to average around 10.30Mbps download before the fibre upgrade.

http://beta.speedtest.net/
ping 37ms, download 6.44mbps, upload 0.82mbps

http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/
ping 236ms, download 10.83mbps, upload 1.73

Then http://beta.speedtest.net/ with my android media player via WIFI hotspot in the backroom

ping 17ms, download 36.66mbps, upload 2.09

Now I have tested via android app in the back for the first time, download speed is indeed reporting over 3x faster.  I looks like my tablet is a weak link and not seeing the benefit.  Other than video loading quickly and streaming smoothly on all devices, I had hoped for web pages loading quicker while browsing with the tab.  Video with the android player has been fine overall in the past, but I was tempted by further benefits of fibre such as less chance of budfering.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to hear your tablet isn't receiving the full potential of your fibre service.

Happy though it's working using your other devices.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
p_tips
Dabbler

@Gandalf

Testing this afternoon, my tablet actually managed 33.98 download.  I've noticed in the past download speeds can improve from midday, but tonight it's down to 5.28Mbps.  I'm hoping this is a temporary issue as things settle in the first week

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I think it's due to the unreliable nature of Wi-Fi connections, there is nothing to settle as your line was syncing at 40Mbps. If you want the best speeds a wired Ethernet connection is always the best bet, but not always possible on many devices.Sad

p_tips
Dabbler

@RealAleMadrid

I see what you mean regarding it settling, a handful of 'default gateway not available' errors on my tablet lately hasn't helped.  Although we rely on wireless, a few months ago I did test with Ethernet via USB adapter from tab to router and Ethernet from homeplug to media player in the back room.  Over the course of a few days both Ethernet and WIFI seemed to report around 10Mbps from midday.  I'll test tablet and media player over the next few days.

rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My switch has now completed 😀, I'm getting 37mbps download and that's tested using my iPad on wi-fi, so I'm happy with that !

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Awesomeo Thumbs_Up thanks for letting us know @rja66

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
leno51
Dabbler

I know this is an old topic but I'm supposed to go live today got email and showing as due on the 2nd feb. on the BT checker . at the moment on old speeds with new hub installed ..This is an upgrade to fibre ...

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

It's still early, the change can happen anytime today depending on engineer availability.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

leno51
Dabbler

Got it ,, very pleased Cheesy.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

Thread locked. Please start a new thread in My order if you are still waiting for it to complete.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still