Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch to Fibre hasn't happened....?

rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Switch to Fibre hasn't happened....?

I was just wandering how late BT engineers work? My switch to Fibre was due to have happened today, I'm still getting 14Mbps so assume nothing has happened yet.

44 REPLIES 44
Stevieb1
Hooked

Re: Switch to Fibre hasn't happened....?

me too, but apparently this isn't unusual

p_tips
Dabbler

Mine was due yesterday as well, I received emails on product change and upload speed.  As yet no follow up on when engineer is due to switch at the cabinet.  I assume then I'll be safe to connect with router VSDL socket and test.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@p_tips

Are you currently a Plusnet ADSL customer upgrading to FTTC?

If so and you have received the Plusnet Hub One, you can plug that in now as it handles both ADSL and FTTC lines. When the line is changed the router will spot the change and then reconfigure itself to FTTC.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Stevieb1
Hooked

Its the lack of info and missed date thats more frustrating . Sure it will change eventually 🖒
KaotiK
Grafter

Yea mine is due today, just had the email from plusnet saying my product change has happened. So hopefully will happen... just been guess work though. If i hadnt asked on the forum i wonder if id of even known the date!

Do you have to restart your router for it to take effect? I bought my own router now as the hub one kept d/cing for me :S

SpendLessTime
Hero

@KaotiK

The router "should" sort itself out as it will spot the change from ADSL to FTTC signalling. However if it get stuck in limbo then you may need to reboot it. (Some devices give up if they cannot connect within a reasonable time frame and the switch over maybe longer than that time limit)

But there is no need to reboot until it hangs as the line can only support either ADSL or FTTC and as long as ADSL is still working, that is a sure sign that the FTTC upgrade hasn't taken place.

p_tips
Dabbler

SpendLessTime

I have a BT Home hub 5 bought second hand from Ebay.  After following a Plusnet setup guide in the forum it's been running without issue.  Last week I called Plusnet to double check and they confirmed it's  compatible.  I thought there may be a confirmation email advising to switch router sockets.  I will  give it a try and see if router connects on reboot.

SpendLessTime
Hero

@p_tips

As stated previously, if the ADSL is still working then a reboot will only bring it back to ADSL as the line is still connected to that source. The line can only work on one source and Openreach decide which Smiley

The Plusnet emails/texts can be a bit early about change overs, there are more of an accounting thing than a 100% accurate record of fact.

rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks, yes I am. The router is plugged in ready for the switch !
p_tips
Dabbler

SpendLessTime

I see what you mean about the line and reboots.  I switched sockets with no joy as yet, hopefully an engineer will make the change at our local cabinet soon.  The BT hub seen an improvement in our download speed but a fibre upgrade would be great.

Stevieb1
Hooked

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com

Apparently im now scheduled for the 10th or by the 10th , openreach must be busy 😉

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter

KaotiK
Grafter

my internet has dropped. so looks like the work is happening for me been about 30 mins.
TonyMC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 3

Hi Stevieb1, I can confirm that your Fibre broadband order is committed to complete tomorrow Wednesday 10/05/17 anytime up till midnight that day, you will be sent a text alert tomorrow when it happens. Tony

Stevieb1
Hooked

Thanks for that 🖒