cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch from BT

tyland
Dabbler

Switch from BT

Switch date yesterday. This morning my phone doesn't work but my broadband is still live on BT. Plusnet forgot also to send out a router, which is now in the post.

Chat keeps throwing me off and so does the support phone.

What can I do next. I am already heartily sick of Plusnet

37 REPLIES 37
tyland
Dabbler

Re: Switch from BT

I told them on Monday that I didn't have a router and in an hour or so received 3 identical texts confirming it was now in the post. I have now TWO DAYS LATER just received an email saying it is being posted today. How does this company stay in business

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Assuming you were on Fibre with BT, or have a Home Hub 5 or 6, then you can continue to use that on a PN connection.

You need to change the username/password on the PPPoE (internet) connection to your PlusNet ones.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tyland
Dabbler

Thanks for taking the time to reply; much appreciated in my present frame of mind. Phone still dead and still connected to BT fibre and Plusnet have no idea why!!

tyland
Dabbler

Well, well the postman just delivered a router, which was posted yesterday. Counting the 3 they put in the post on Monday and the one they have dispatched today, I should end up with 5 routers but no Plusnet internet to connect to. I really did make the wrong choice of ISP but if the story of this debacle convinces somebody else to avoid this totally incompetent mob, then I suppose something good has come out of it.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Switch date yesterday. This morning my phone doesn't work but my broadband is still live on BT

Strange that the BT broadband is still live. Doesn't sound like the switch has actually happened, either that or the Openreach engineer (probably a contractor) messed up the change at the cabinet. Hopefully one of the PN help team will be along shortly to confirm the status of the switch.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tyland
Dabbler

Just got an e-mail from BT telling me my services will stop on 11th and to advise any change of mind by 7th. A load of nonsense but it does look like someone is doing something. I await with bated breath and not a little trepidation!!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to see there are issues with your order.

Unfortunately it looks like the transfer order is stuck in the Openreach systems, which resulted in the line ceasing in an odd way while leaving your broadband connection active with your previous provider.

To get your phone service up and running, I've placed an order to restart your line, which should complete tomorrow. I've had to assign you a new telephone number, because the previous number you had is currently reserved in the stuck order.

However, once the stuck order is cancelled(I'll update you further on that shortly) I'll do my best to get your number back, though due to the way that renumbering a line works I can't guarantee I'll be successful.

When your phone line is up and running, I'll place another order to transfer your broadband service to us.

Apologies for the experience you've had and it's not as smooth as we'd have liked on this occasion.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tyland
Dabbler

I am, of course, grateful for anything being done to solve it but will reserve my thanks until we are actually there. What worries me is that last email from BT telling me my broadband is to be cancelled whereas your message implies that you have yet to tell them to do so and I will continue to have an internet service. If the service ceases or probably if we have to change numbers then it's not just me that will be hopping mad but the full force of the wife's wrath will be unleashed and neither of us wants that!! I fear that she will insist that we are allowed to depart to a more competent supplier without any fines.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

To be honest this kind of issue could happen with any provider who uses the Openreach network. I appreciate the frustration but things can sometimes unfortunately go wrong and I'm sorry that they have done for you.

I'm sure that we can sort this out and get your phone and broadband service back up and running.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tyland
Dabbler

@Gandalf Received email early this morning confirming home phone live under new (hopefully temporary) number. Just received another email confirming my home phone has been cancelled. There is no mention of any telephone number so can I safely assume that this refers to the number that is stuck in the system. Phone is still working at the moment.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the update.

That's good to hear your home phone is working now. The email about the cancelled order does indeed refer to the stuck order being cancelled, which has made your telephone number spare, so I've placed an order to renumber your line now.

You should have your number back tomorrow.

To be honest I still can't explain how your broadband is still working when the line got ceased (and now reactivated), though I can see that fibre is still enabled on the line, I can only assume there was some sort of records/system issue.

As the line has only just been newly re-instated, the supplier system we use to place a broadband order hasn't updated fully to reflect that fibre is actually available to order (even though we can see fibre is already on the line).

The system should update over the course of the next 24 hours and once it has I'll place an order to transfer the fibre service to us, which will take around 10 working days sadly as we'd be taking over an active service.

I'll continue to keep an eye on this for you.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tyland
Dabbler

@Gandalf got back old number but lost internet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the heads up.

The renumber order is still committed for today in the supplier systems, so we can't do much until that's completed, but when it is complete I'll place your fibre order and once it's confirmed in the Openreach system I'll request it's expedited for the soonest completion date due to the issues.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tyland
Dabbler

@Gandalf does that mean days without internet but continuing charges from BT as I can't cancel. I really have had enough of this