cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch from BT Infinity - equipment

paulstevens147

Switch from BT Infinity - equipment

Hi - I switched today from BT infinity and was expecting an engineer to install an openreach modem to link to the Plusnet router??? I have the Plusnet router in the box but nothing to connect it to. I have had to reset my BT Home Hub 5 to get the internet service from Plusnet.  Why have I paid for a piece of hardware I can't use?
16 REPLIES 16
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Switch from BT Infinity - equipment

I had a similar problem, but a quick call to PlusNet and they sent me an Openreach modem. As it happens I am still using my HH5, its a single box, and meant I did not need to change any of my WiFi devices.
paulstevens147

A 'quick call' was tried but as they are currently wait times of over 30 mins I didn't hold on. My point is it should be obvious that any recent movers from BT Infinity will always require an Openreach modem.  Otherwise I have
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear you haven't received one.
I've ordered you one and we'll get it you as soon as we can.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I thought I read something on these forums that said engineers don't get sent out for FTTC ISP switches, if that's the case then Plusnet should know they need to post out a modem.
Edit: found these threads:
BT modem be posted ? from 12 March 2015
Engineer visit for migration?Huh from 8 May 2015
paulstevens147

Exactly - there must be hundreds of people with this issue.
Dodger21
Grafter

You may find that the BT-HH5 gives a better connection than the BT modem-Plusnet router, another thread on here found that changing to the HH5 gave a higher sync and speed.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Openreach don't seem to keep a record of who has HH5's so there is no way that PlusNet would know. My original modem and HH3 were replaced last year when the HH went faulty, and replaced with a HH5.
As above, I still believe its a better solution to the modem and PlusNet router. Plus the diagnostics on the HH5 are better, and you can at least see the sync speed and so get a better idea if or when things go wrong.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I would stick to the HH5 as IMO it performs better than the PN supplied router.
You can see my thread which is made a sticky at the top of the FIBRE sub-page.
Regards
NE Smiley
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
paulstevens147

Thanks all - the configuration management within both organisations leaves a lot to be desired.  Just out of interest I will try both set-ups from a performance perspective but may well stick with the one box solution. Whilst it's relatively easy for some to work out what is needed, the average Joe  switching services would not be happy with this level of 'day one' service.  The solution is simple enough - just send out a modem with all the orders or include a suitable question within the order process.
shure
Grafter

It's OR's responsibility to provide a modem as part of the installation service: AFAIAA PN only normally supply one direct to customers for self-installs.  Having said that, OR have said they will no longer do this from next year so I should imagine PN will be moving to a one-box solution when that happens
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: AndyH
I think clarification needs to be given on FTTC migrations by Plusnet.
This is what Openreach say (so I don't think they can be blamed...):
If you win a customer back from a CP who uses an integrated modem/router device, you should be aware that an Openreach modem may not be installed in the premises. You should either provide your own integrated modem/router device or raise a fault on that line as soon as it is completed to get an engineer to site to install an Openreach modem. Recognising the customer experience issues associated with this situation, you may contact the GEA-FTTC product line who will arrange a bulk supply of Openreach modems which you could post as part of your provision process.

dazcm

Slightly OT, but I'm in process of migrating from Sky Fibre to PlusNet. I've an engineer appointment booked for 23/10, but not quite sure why.
I've already got an Openreach modem, so I assumed it would simply be a case of unplugging my old Sky router from it and plugging the PN one in. Not sure what the engineer is coming for?
Any help/advice appreciated.
Darren
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The engineer will likely turn up and then say nothing needs doing apart from switching the equipment from Sky router to Plusnet router.
That's if they turn up.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
shure
Grafter

the engineer needs to be booked to switch things over at the cabinet.  (S)he doesn't need to come to your house., but PN book that as the default.  If it's already booked I suggest leaving as is as otherwise you may incur delays, and they can always run a check to make sure your wiring etc is all OK!