cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch FTTC from TT to PN but cabinet full

mswinson

Switch FTTC from TT to PN but cabinet full

I'm looking into switching my (very non tech-savvy) parents from TT to PN.  They currently have FTTC service and get about 16MB download speeds.  Their cabinet is full and have been told by the PN (and got same when tried BT) sales team that only ADSL is available.

I found another post in this forum relating to the similar scenario (switching from BT Infinity to PN) where a PN rep said that a migration would preserve the FTTC connection.

Is there any reason why migrating from TT would be different?

If not, then how can I get the PN sales team to accept the order as a migration?

Thanks for the help!

3 REPLIES 3
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Switch FTTC from TT to PN but cabinet full

Hi

From what I have read here and elsewhere this is not a TalkTalk issue but an Openreach procedural issue.

Openreach will only migrate FTTC connections when spare ports are available at the FTTC cab.

It appears to be beyond the wit of Openreach to allow customers to keep the existing port in the FTTC cab whilst transferring from one ISP to another.

I guess it will take OFCOM intervention to change Openreach's behaviour.

However, as OFCOM are not interested in dealing with individual customer complaints and I doubt there are "thousands" of  customer in this situation, then nothing will be done.....

Richard

Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought TT used their own kit? So if that is the case then there may well be no spare capacity in the BT/PN cabinet to move the TT pair to. Or am I missing something here?

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

TT kit only extends to the exchange. All the fibre cabs are Openreach kit.

TT then have to buy a link (VULA) between the Openreach cabs and the TT infrastructure in the exchange.

This is referred to as virtual unbundling in OFCOM speak.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/jargon/jargon_detail.php?LLU---Local-Loop-Unbundling-53

EDIT - fixed typo