Did you mean: 

Swapping lines

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Swapping lines

Hi

I'm after suggestions on the easiest/quickest/cheapest way to make some line changes for my father-in-law.  I'm going to stay with them for a few days from Thursday, so am going to talk to him about it them.

Currently he has 2 lines both with BT, each coming into the house at different points.  They also have FTTC with Plusnet on one of the lines.

What I want to end up with (subject to change when I've talked to him about it all!) is to keep the number that doesn't have broadband, but on the physical line that currently has broadband, getting rid of that number and keeping the broadband, all supplied through Plusnet.

To illustrate this, to hopefully make it clearer:

Line 1 - Phone number 123 and FTTC

Line 2 - Phone number 987 with no broadband

What we want is the physical Line 1 (which terminates in the office) with phone number 987 and FTTC.

Line 1 might be (tbc) on a business package with BT (as it used to be used for his business before he retired), though I know the FTTC is a residential package.

What is the best way to go about making this change?

Thanks

Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

12 REPLIES 12
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Swapping lines

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Yep, plenty needed.  Lots to go wrong,

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Interesting Phil?  I am about to raise a similar question for me.  In engineering terms should be easy, but!

Two lines:

A:  Our main number.  No broadband.

B:  Our old 'business' No.  + ADSL2 broadband.

Needed:

A:  Retain No.  move broadband.

B:  Cancel line as no longer needed.

30 mins engineer time, but the paperwork and potential for losing service and 'cease fee' are a concern.

Maurice

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Not sure if this is any help but I remembered seeing something on the A & A website about number porting and voip.

https://www.aaisp.net.uk/telecoms-prices.html

Porting a BT number on a PSTN line and renumbering to allow broadband to continue is £42.00

I guess that is really referring to the common situation where you wish to port the existing number to voip but retain the ADSL line ( with a new number ) 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@pjmarsh

In order to renumber a line with a particular number, that number would need to be released/made spare.

I'd recommend getting in touch with BT to cease their line. It should be made spare within 24 hours and then we should be able to process the renumber. We can't make any guarantees that things might not go wrong though. It's worth checking the rangeholder of your desired number as if it's not BT it's a bit more difficult to retain once ceased.

@MauriceC

There could be two options here. Either cease line B entirely, and then place a broadband order on line A. Alternatively, cease line A and renumber line B [as above this option may come with a risk of losing the number]

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Many thanks @Gandalf. I've just arrived at the in-laws, so will likely look at it tomorrow. I'll check out the range holder, but I strongly suspect it'll be BT. They have had the number for a very long time as far as I'm aware.

Presumably before attempting a renumber, we'd need to move the line we want to keep to Plusnet, or could you take over the line, and renumber it to the other number that we cease 24 hours earlier?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We'd need to takeover Line 1 then renumber the line within the desired number once Line 2 is ceased. Alternatively, they could ask BT to cease Line 2 and renumber Line 1 then we'd takeover Line 1 with the desired number in one go. Essentially, it depends who you'd want to do the renumbering; us or BT retail.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

It seems like it should be easier than I though.  Both lines appear to come into the office.

I'm thinking the easiest way is to sign up afresh with Plusnet on the non-broadband line, transferring the phoneline to Plusnet at the same time and getting the new user deal.

Once that is active cancel the other line, ceasing the broadband and paying the cease fee.

To me that seems like it will be the simplest and cheapest way to do it.

What do you think @Gandalf?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sounds good. We'd be able to takeover Line 2 and place broadband on it at the same time.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf, we're almost there.  We're just at the point of cancelling the unwanted broadband and line.

I've just had a voicemail from the father-in-law saying that you're going to do something that I didn't think was possible.  Can I just check on that please?

The line is with BT and broadband with Plusnet.  They have just phoned and cancelled the broadband on the line (Question 155234633), and was (apparently) told that you would be able to cancel the phone line as well (which is with BT).  Is that correct?

Many thanks

Phil 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hey Phil,

I'd recommend asking him to ignore that ticket. It looks like the agent just used a standardised template. We can't cancel a line that doesn't belong to us. Apologies for the confusion.

Keep us posted!

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Many thanks @Gandalf.  I thought that was the case, but wanted to check.  I'll have a word with the father-in-law and make sure he's getting the line cancelled with BT as well.

Thanks for all your help.

Phil