cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapped from ADSL to Fiber, got a weeks useage then it died...

GeekPeter
Dabbler

Swapped from ADSL to Fiber, got a weeks useage then it died...

already sat on hold over the phone for ages to log a fault, im told theres no issue on plusnet's side, my side was working fine till 11pm last night when the router decided to become a world of red lights, it worked in the morning for about 10mins then went back to red lights again.

I know ive logged the issue but im still hoping theres nothing majorly wrong and that a quick and simple fix might be possible, the only thing they ppl on the phone dont ask for is details from the hub one's log, so ill slap in the last cycle of output form it incase anyone can see something obvious.

attached pic of log...

15 REPLIES 15
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Swapped from ADSL to Fiber, got a weeks useage then it died...

Is your phone working? Is it quiet when you dial 17070 option 2?

GeekPeter
Dabbler

Had to borrow someones phone to test as i never use a landline, i have a clear dialtone and that test number doesnt seem to indicate anything bad, ive also unscrewed the single socket openreach wall socket and tried plugging into the master socket, same result..

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

A bit late now, think the phone lines are closed, but seems its time to report a fault. 

GeekPeter
Dabbler

well i phoned the help line again, much shorter queue time this time, only 15mins or so, the person who dealt with me this time said it might not be a line fault, it could be an issue with something their end not accepting my routers username/password, 15mins after that call, my routers got a blue light and im back online, no engineers etc required.

happy days.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

By any chance are you switching your router off when you're not using it?

If so, I'd recommend leaving your router on 24/7 as power-cycling it everyday could decrease the longevity of the router.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
GeekPeter
Dabbler

i do turn it off when not using however ive always done that with every router ive owned including the adsl one you sent me b4 i switched to fiber a few weeks ago and its never been an issue, also my net died last saturday night, and it was fine for a whole week b4 that when turning it off, also my issue "was" fixed yesterday, this morning however its back to dead/orange lights so reflagged that with over the phone again.

the router has been with me for just 2 weeks or so after swapping from adsl to fiber, longevity shouldnt be a factor just yet?

it sounds unreal that turning something off or the power going would lead to whatever my issue is which still isnt clear yet, surely i dont have to phone up for help when/if the power goes off, even worse i cant explain whats wrong beyond stating i have several orange lights on the router and the event log isnt showing my any clear explanation of whats going wrong.

i did leave the router on most of sunday and nearly all of monday, it was orange light the whole time until a while after my 2nd phone call for help, 15mins after that call it turned blue, worked for 4-5 hours or so, i went to work on nightshift, woke up 2ish today and found it back to orange lights (i did turn it off when i went to work).

GeekPeter
Dabbler

as of exactly a minute ago i have a blue light again, will monitor the situation and as suggested, leave it switched on to see if it makes a difference.

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hi there

You always need to leave the router on 24/7 - even if you go away for a month!   Turning it off makes the equipment at the exchange think there is a fault with your line and when you reconnect it tries to correct things by first of all slowing the speed down, and maintaining stabilty . When you turn  it back on the exchange gear and your router automatically try to increase the speed & stabilty to  the theoretical maximum possible  for your line . This can take hours or even days to achieve. If you turn off your router in this period,  then the whole process starts again. With VDSL ( Fibre) I understabd this is even more critical than with ADSL (non fibre) and your router should never be turned off, except if you have a power cut. This is the same with all ISP's.

GeekPeter
Dabbler

Aquired a new router (Draytek 2862ac), been using it fine for 4 and a half days, then today just before 12pm my connection dropped again (router has never been turned off since i started using it nearly 5 days ago), checking the draytek router which shows information more clearly than the plusnet one i see that my line is holding a stable connection, all is fine my end, but the log is showing that there is no usual PPPoE response when trying to connect to plusnet.

The only PPPoE / Connection stats showing in the log is loads of the following...

ADSL_Status:[Mode=17A States=SHOWTIME UpSpeed=9995000 DownSpeed=39993000 SNR=18 Atten=11 ]
WAN1 PPPoE ==> V:1 T:1 PADT ID:0

the connection/line seems fine but does not seem to be getting a response when trying to connect, as i typically see way more PPPoE related entries in the log when it does work.

runhare
Aspiring Pro

Hi,

a couple of questions then I'll bow out and let others with more technical nouce comment .

1) did the new router eventually reconnect?

2 did you leave it switched on? 

3) if yes, what did you do to get it to reconnect? 

Hope your answers will help others suggest further action 

GeekPeter
Dabbler

5 days ago when I got the routerand preset all my required details I then unplugged the plusnet router and added the new one, everything worked straight away and lasted 4 days and 17hours until it stopped working today.

its been switched on all the time, nothing has been changed or altered my end, if something works you don't need to change anything anyways.

this is the same issue I've had 2 or so times previous where there seems to be no line fault yet the plusnet side is not or can not receive the pppoe logon.

this is an issue with the plusnet router and now my draytek one, it can't be a router issue as both have worked fine until whatever fault this is crops up.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi there.

I can see that the connection is now back up and running again. Can you confirm if you had to do anything or if the connection came back itself?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
GeekPeter
Dabbler

I did nothing, I went to work on evening shift at 13:45 today, I naturally left the router on. any idea why the pppoe conn keeps dropping then refusing to connect even with a non faulty line?
runhare
Aspiring Pro

Did anyone make a phone call or did anyone ring your number?

@GeekPeter wrote:
I did nothing, I went to work on evening shift at 13:45 today, I naturally left the router on. any idea why the pppoe conn keeps dropping then refusing to connect even with a non faulty line?