Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sustained reduced download speed

FIXED
andyeff
Dabbler

Sustained reduced download speed

Hi Plusnet,

At the start of the month, some Openreach engineers were checking cable ducting on the estate to make sure everything was in order.

I didn't suffer any disconnections as a result of their checking that I'm aware of, but from around then, my regular sustained download speed of around 72mbit has dropped to about 52mbit and shows no sign of recovering on its own.

Upload speeds have remained solid, with the BT wholesale speedtest showing 20.56mbit as of this moment.

Would it be possible for someone to check whatever stats they have access to, to see if any sort of fault has developed on the line? I rebooted my router around the end of last week, but after it reconnected, it was still hitting the low 50's for download.

4 REPLIES 4
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Sustained reduced download speed

Hi @andyeff,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. I've tested your line this afternoon and I can see that the speeds still seem to be performing as we'd expect, according to the test results. We've we've not been able to locate any external line faults, there is something that's caught my eye on the account, which I've changed now. This should take affect within the next hour or so, so if the speeds don't seem to improve by then, just drop us another message and I'll have a further look into this with you Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
andyeff
Dabbler

Hi @TheMightyAJ  - thanks for taking a look!

Unfortunately peak speeds remain unchanged. Should I try rebooting the router/modem again, or is that likely to cause some dynamic line management issues?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Fix

I can't see that the line's been dropping, so a single reboot shouldn't hurt. It may be worth setting the router up in the test socket in the property to see if this makes any difference as well. For reference, we have a guide on how to do this here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
andyeff
Dabbler

Hi Alex, great news - after a second router reboot this evening, the speed has returned to its previous levels. 73mbit on the BT wholesale checker, and averaging over 8 MB/s on a download currently Smiley

I didn't get around to trying the test socket (would have done that tomorrow if I still had issues), but thank you for your help with the checks and the thing you tweaked - I'll assume that and the reboots sorted it all out Cheesy