Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspected Router fault latency issues with internet

FIXED
Spikyruss
Hooked

Suspected Router fault latency issues with internet

Hello,

I've been having this issue (Along with everyone else in my household, around 5 other people 4 using wired and 1 using wireless connections) where the latency on the network becomes extremely unstable where it makes doing anything that requires a consistent connection practically impossible be it gaming (Unplayable) or as one of my household members works for the NHS as a technician and is currently working from home it also drops his connection making it difficult to do his job, This problem has been happening since atleast December last year and likely before that and I have performed many tests since that time to conclude that it appears to be router related.

I've performed these tests on multiple systems at the same time and have had the same results which excludes our ethernet cables being the issue, also since the problem happens on the wifi also. I've been constantly ping testing the router and to googles DNS servers and have noticed that whenever we get the ping spikes which is every 5 seconds or so of 2000+ms and up its not only spiking to the DNS server but also to the router as well, as its happening on multiple systems at the same time this would indicate a router issue, and the problem can be fixed albeit temporarily with a router restart for a short period of time. I will be uploading ping tests to the router and to googles DNS that shows the issue and will look forward to a response because while browsing the web and streaming video is fine, its making it impossible to play online games and more importantly impeding an NHS workers work (As I can't figure out how to upload the image of ping tests to this post I've uploaded it as an album on my account and set it to public)
Thank you and have a nice day.

14 REPLIES 14
orby
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Suspected Router fault latency issues with internet

I'd suggest getting another modem router and prove that the original is the problem (or not) - If you're out of contract then I suspect Plusnet will only give you a replacement router if you sign up for a new 18 month contract. You could do some troubleshooting like plugging modem router directly into the test socket to elliminate your internal phone wiring.

A replacement moden router can be as cheap as £33 like the TP Link W9970 - if it doesn't solve the problem them at least you've got some proof that there's some other issue that's probably the BT line or exchange.

You must have some patience if you've been putting up with this since last year.

Spikyruss
Hooked

We're already using the test socket for our primary internet and have had another line put into the house for another household members internet, they're internet isn't quite as good as ours speed wise but they don't have the same issue with the ping spikes, as I've said the ping spikes occur between the router itself and the client pcs which are all wired up through ethernet and since I've tested multiple different systems using different ethernet cables and they all have the same problem I'd say its most likely a router problem, The ping spikes also occur over wifi and we have attempted to disable 5ghz to fix the problem and have had no luck. I have recommended getting a newer router but we would like to expend all other opportunities before expending further money into this problem

orby
Rising Star

That's fair enough, I personally had an issue very recently where my internet was messing about, web pages slow to load, giving brief loading error messages and then working and it turned out my modem router was the problem (not one supplied by Plusnet I should add). My issue was very intermittent and most of the time worked fine, but the modem router was starting to fail I guess.

You can see if anyone from Plusnet gets back to you here but it might be slow... I waited a few days and heard nothing so just bought a new modem router and thought it would be useful as a spare if it didn't solve the issue, but it seems to have solved my issue in the end. I'm working from home so can't be messing about for the sake of £50 for a replacement modem router.

Just a thought, have you tried disconnecting every device and test one device then plug in the next and test and see if one piece of kit causes the problem? Could it be that the modem router just isn't good enough for multiple users? - I've read some devices just aren't much good under load, so perhaps research your modem model to see if it's a known issue.

Spikyruss
Hooked

the problem with testing it with 1 user at a time is that the issue isn't constant, it only starts happening randomly and as there are a lot of people in my household and some are working throughout the day its not really feasible to test it long term with only one user. I wish I could because I know that I'm likely going to be told that they can't do anything until I've tested it this way but it just isn't possible with the issue as it stands and the situation in my household

orby
Rising Star

Tricky but I think that until you try another modem router you'll not get much further with this issue, you need to rule out the hardware or prove that is the fault. I appreciate it's easy to just say that and assume you'd be happy to spend money on something that may or may not help but unless you can borrow a modem router from someone, I just don't see much more you can do as you've already done most that can be done, test socket, wired computers etc, all showing the same issue... there's not much left except modem then the phone socket and out to BT's network.

What modem make and model are you using by the way and have you looked to see if there are any firmware updates available for it?

Spikyruss
Hooked

Its been over 2 weeks and not had a response from a member of staff, this is pretty ridiculous at this point and we're seriously thinking of just switching ISP, hope to receive a response sometime soon but the problems are still happening and everyone is fed up with it - Also its a Plusnet Hub One I believe and it receives updates automatically as far as I'm aware so I don't think it would be update related and if it is the router and Plusnet don't send a replacement one then it seems dumb to have to spend more money to make the internet we're already paying for usable

orby
Rising Star

I think that if you're within contract they might send you a replacement free, if you're out of contract they likely won't unless you sign up to a new 18 month contract.

I don't know what the criterior is to why they may or may not respond to this thread....perhaps you have to raise a fault.

Personally, the internet is too important for me to not work reliably and I buy my own router and replace it when I suspect a problem as I recently did. My take is that the free router gets you started but for something that most of us use and rely upon, it's something critical that may need some money spending on for best results, that's just my opinion though, life's too short.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@orby wrote: the internet is too important for me to not work reliably and I buy my own router and replace it when I suspect a problem as I recently did. My take is that the free router gets you started but for something that most of us use and rely upon, it's something critical that may need some money spending on for best results, that's just my opinion though, life's too short.

Can only agree. I've still got the original PN router that is used for test purposes but only when the line sync drops etc. But over the years I've come realise that while you can get by with a free router, once it starts to become an essential service, time to buy.

Just a thought @Spikyruss if you have someone working from home I'd have thought their employer should be 'contributing'. 😁 And why not just mention the router seems to be dying. You never know, you might get a decent router supplied by them. Of course, if you are thinking about jumping ship, most ISP's give away a free router - some routers are better than others though.  My 'free' Fritzbox seems pretty stable so far.

BTW £30 on Ebay will get you a refurbished Hub 6.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Thanks for getting in touch @Spikyruss and sorry for the late staff response. I've tested your line tonight and the tests are showing a fault with the line which may be the cause for this so I've reported the fault to our suppliers and we've been advised of an estimated response time of by 26/06/20 23:59:59 for an engineer to go out and investigate further.

If you're still having issues after that's fixed, we'll be happy to send you a replacement router although I'd recommend calling us on 0800 013 2632 we may need to recontract you to send a new one out free of charge. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Spikyruss
Hooked

Thanks for the reply, looking forward to seeing what you find and whether or not it will fix the issue, I have a question though, if one is outside of the contract length and there is a potential router problem, would you supply a replacement router to fix it for free or require the individual to re-enter a new contract?
Thanks for your time and have a good day

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @Spikyruss 

If you're not within a contract and your router's more than 12 months old we'd ask you to sign up to a new contract for us to be able to replace the router for you free of charge.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Spikyruss
Hooked

Just had a call that the engineer found a problem with a connection at our local exchange, will see if the issue persists and will repost here in a few days to update on the situation

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the update, fingers crossed that sorts the issues out.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Spikyruss
Hooked

I apologise for the delay response, I am happy to report that the issues seems to be solved and that the technician found a fault at our local exchange, after it was sorted all of my issues went away and I have been monitoring the latency of my network since and haven't noticed any of the problems I was experiencing before
Thank you all for your help and suggestions and I wish you all the best of luck!