cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superfastastrophe!

BaaMoo
Dabbler

Superfastastrophe!

Hi Forumers.  I got 'upgraded' to unlimited fiber extra this morning and very briefly it was excellent.  Things did not stay that way. At one point I was testing at 65up/19down and soon after 10/18 and now I'm down at 4/15.  I've raised a call with support and plugged into the master socket as instructed.  Changed the microfilter, changed the router, changed the cable, tried it both wireless and wired.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

28 REPLIES 28
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Superfast calamity!

Have you done a quiet line test with a corded phone ? Dial 17070?

BaaMoo
Dabbler

Re: Superfast calamity!

I have not tried that, I will do so in the morning, although I did have a listen to the dial tone earlier and it seemed fine.  Thanks for the reply. 

BaaMoo
Dabbler

Re: Superfastastrophe!

Update,  There has been very little progress on the problem. It does seem that everyone who is connected to the same cabinet as I am is experiencing problems.  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hello there and welcome to the community.

First of all, I love your thread title.

With regards to your speeds, it looks like an engineer went out yesterday and found a problem with your internal wiring, fitting a new master socket to rectify that.

How are things today?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BaaMoo
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf,

Thanks for the response.  Things seem much improved since the visit of the openreach engineer, who seemed very thorough and professional.  The download speeds still fall short of the anticipated speed but they are now in the region when it could be down to settling after a reset.  I will monitor the speeds an update as a I get further information.  

Hopefully I'll be able to change it to superfastatic soon.

BaaMoo
Dabbler

Sadly I have to report that not much seems to have changed.  After initially feeling positive I noticed a drop in performance and performed the speed tests (by the book).  Please see attached results.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Our tests aren't detecting any further issues now, but from the speed tests you've completed there definitely seems to be a problem somewhere as the actual sync rate is 80mbps.

Are you experiencing problems using multiple devices?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BaaMoo
Dabbler

Yes, but I won't try to brush my teeth and mow the lawn simultaneously again.

But otherwise, I'm only my own today so I'm not sure. I did wonder if there was just some problem speed testing, but I did a real world download test and it backs up the data.  At least I think so, maybe I've not done the sums proper.

Thanks for your help.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yes, but I won't try to brush my teeth and mow the lawn simultaneously again.

Cheesy

But otherwise, I'm only my own today so I'm not sure. I did wonder if there was just some problem speed testing, but I did a real world download test and it backs up the data.  At least I think so, maybe I've not done the sums proper.

It's probably worth checking with another device to see if the download speed is slow there too.

Thanks for your help.

No problems Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BaaMoo
Dabbler

I understand what you mean now.  Yes my phone displays similar results as the desktop machine.   It's on the WiFi though.  I'll get hold of a laptop later and test on the ethernet on that.   Streaming services seem pretty fine to me, YT, Netflix, Spotify, but downloads and speed tests are poor.  

What do you make of that? 

Some sort of over prioritisation?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That's quite strange. I doubt it's related to traffic prioritisation as we've recently removed that for Unlimited usage products.

Let us know how the testing using a laptop goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BaaMoo
Dabbler

Here are the results from the test on the laptop.  I didn't do the Tap3 test thingy.  Hope this is helpful.

BaaMoo
Dabbler

FYI:
NOTE: This is not my speedtest or even a PLUSNET user.

This user is connected to the same cabinet as I am.  There is much grumbling round these here parts.

BaaMoo
Dabbler

Any further thoughts on this Gandalf?
I reckon that if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's a throughput issue.
I get 70 plus down at 0630 and less than 10 at peak times.