cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suffocating censorship and restriction

bongle
Hooked

Suffocating censorship and restriction

Wow! Didn't realise that when I signed up I wasn't going to get full internet access but instead only the bits plusnet wants me to get. After advising me to spend a fortune on a new router (4th day of service, already had to complain 3 times about various issues) now I find that even with my new router and dns servers all the content I need IS STILL BLOCKED. The service was only up and running for 3 1/2 hours and now plusnet want me to pay to cancel this rediculously limited service. Ofcom and trading standards are now being contacted as plusnet have left me without the service I'm paying for AND incurred me a cost of £100+ for a new router that hasn't helped. Well done for screwing your customers, wish I'd stayed with SSE. I ADVISE ANYONE THINK OF USING PLUSNET NOT TO BOTHER.
18 REPLIES 18
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Suffocating censorship and restriction

Welcome to the community forums @bongle I'm sorry to hear you're having problems getting to certain sites.

So we can look in to this matter further and try to help, please could advise what sites you're having problems getting to and if you're getting an error message when trying to navigate to one of the sites in question.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Would you care to share the URL of some of the sites that you want to get to but can't? To see if they are blocked for us as well?

bongle
Hooked

1337x.to is one of them, I don't share or download anything illegal/pirated and only use this site legitimately, it is NOT an illegal site and I could access it perfectly when I was with SSE but now I can't, I even had a jaguarforum blocked (though this is now working). I was led to believe changing my DNS servers would allow me to access this site, so I went and bought a new router to allow me to do this (plusnet routers have locked DNS making them pretty much useless to me), to find that my access is STILL blocked.
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Access to 1337x seems to have been blocked by a High Court Order

bongle
Hooked

Plusnet has no obligation to enforce that.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

bongle
Hooked

Pretty much everyone runs on BT or Virgin including SSE whom I was with prior to plusnet (and would go back to knowing what I know now), yet not all suffer the same level of blocking, which would suggest to me that plusnet are choosing to block these sites. I pay for "internet access" not partial access. I feel like I'm renting a whole house but I'm only allowed in one room.
Rhyn
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Not blocked for me, could it be an innocent mistake rather than a draconian block.

It sometimes helps to assume the lesser reason rather than jump to the greater assumption. 

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Try https://torrents.me/proxy/1337x/ for a list of alternates.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

bongle
Hooked

Yeah, that's what I've done though it's a workaround rather than a solution, just annoyed that I have to.
bongle
Hooked

Also annoying is the 14 day free cancellation period that ran out before it came online. I couldn't test the service before I was obliged to stick with it.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you'd "like" to pay for a decent VPN, that site is available from many countries. Crazy3

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

bongle
Hooked

It's extra expense and yet another throttle on speed when I shouldn't have to. Never had to with SSE.
bongle
Hooked

@Gel What ISP are you with if you don't mind me asking?