Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly terrible upload speed

FIXED
princec
Fixes: 1

Suddenly terrible upload speed

As in, 0.1mbps, as of about today or so. And download speed appears to be up and down like a yoyo ranging from 1mbps to 15mbps (usually around 5). Any idea what might suddenly cause this? Need it fixing sort of urgently.

Cas Smiley

9 REPLIES 9
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Re: Suddenly terrible upload speed

Hello @princec 

Sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your speed. I have a checked your connection and there definitely seems to be something out of place somewhere as the download and upload speed is showing lower than your estimates. Although our tests aren't picking up exactly what's causing the issue so we need you to perform a speed test in the method set pout below.

1) Please plug your router into the test socket with no other devices connected to your phone line. A guide on how to locate your test socket can be fount here; https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242.

2) Disconnect and reconnect the cable that goes from the DSL port on the router to your microfilter/master socket making sure it is a snug fit.

3) Also, please make sure there is no damage to the cables.

4) Go to http://speedtest.btwholesale.com and complete the test right to the end.

Please follow the online instructions and put input your telephone number to upload the speeds to the BT servers and if the speed is still less than what it should on both download and upload, please raise a fault here.

Please let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
princec

Thanks SammyM, I'll report back later when I get back from work.

Cas Smiley

princec

31 down (hah!)

0.47 up

Latency 39ms

For comparison the Google speed test says:

21 down

0.49 up

Latency 68ms

Running the Google one just 3 minutes later:

38.4 down

0.59 up

Latency 97ms

Cas Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Cas.

Our tests are showing the part of our suppliers network at your exchange which your connection routes through to be overutilised, which would explain why your download speeds are fluctuating.

This sort of problem is particularly worse at peak times.

Our suppliers advise that additional infrastructure is required at the exchange and the target resolution date is the 27th July. However, I've contacted their quality assurance team and they've arranged to move your circuit to a different part of their network which should be a less congested. The move should happen within the next 24 hours.

With regards to your upload speed, this would be a physical problem somewhere (As opposed to congestion). Can you confirm your router is plugged into the test socket as explained here?

This should rule out your internal wiring from impacting this.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
princec

Hi Gandalf,

interesting about the contention.. i was beginning to suspect everyone else on our street had discovered fibre was available too, seems I was correct Wink

The line is definitely crackly when I listen to the phone dialtone. It's far worse when it's windy (like it has been for the last couple of days) - and we've had the same problem before twice now I think over the last 4 years.

I can't seem plug the router directly into the test socket as per their diagram as we have one of the newfangled sockets from BT that have the built-in microfilter, so we don't have a spare separate microfilter. It looks though that I'm going to have to call a BT engineer out to look at the wire on the outside of the house again and suffer some nail-biting moments while he decides whether or not to charge me £120 for the privilege. The annoying thing is, if it's not windy, he probably won't find a fault.

Cas Smiley

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi Cas,

I've had a look into this issue today and when I was testing your line I found that there is an impairment in the copper joint, which is likely causing the issues that you have been experiencing. I've updated the open fault on your account which can be viewed here.

Hopefully we'll be able to get this issue sorted out soon, but please let us know if you have any further queries or issues in the meantime.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
princec

Hi there, and thanks for continuing the investigation! I was up against a bit of a brick wall with BT who were probably going to try charging me £129 to call out an engineer.

Cas Smiley

princec

Fix

BT engineer came, found problem outside somewhere, and all is fixed! Thanks for helping me sort it out, great job!

Cas Smiley

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Glad to hear that it's sorted!

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team