Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly recently getting high level of CRC errors and variation in latency

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Suddenly recently getting high level of CRC errors and variation in latency

@disposalist wrote:

Can you forum regulars advise on the best channel to actually get an investigation going?

I will be shot for this BUT I would use Twitter or Facebook as posts there are harder to miss for the staff. This is called a Community Forum and the mission statement says 

We're a friendly bunch of Plusnet customers helping each other out, answering questions and talking about everything under the sun from broadband to what we're having for breakfast.

Make of that what you will.

Of course you could just :-

Check for a phone fault (if Plusnet provide the phone start here https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/ ) If you do have a phone voice fault, report it as such and do not mention any broadband issues. And then when that is fixed, see if the broadband is better.

Then if still not solved (or no phone fault is in evidence) start with the FTTC guides at https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-Fault-Guides/m-p/1156188#U1156188

The links contain the relevant links to log a fault.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
disposalist
Grafter

Thanks for the advice, there.  I'm going to have to proceed with fault reporting, yes.

More bad speeds and more bad quality after kids get home from school

My Broadband Ping - Disposalist BQM

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Have you tried the speedtest from TBB (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html)? With it being 2 tests in 1 it can help identify congestion.
disposalist
Grafter

Yeah, that TBB speedtest shows the bad quality at this time of day nicely: -

My Broadband Speed Test

Does the normal and x6 test both being bad show anything in particular?

Browni
Aspiring Hero

If it was congestion within the Plusnet network I would have expected something different, it looks like being throttled at your end.

Is there any QoS being performed anywhere?
disposalist
Grafter

No QoS no.

You imply a problem with my router, but why would it change between 1530 and midnight?

Also why would something at my end cause a change to interleaved and a reduction in sync rate?...

So, we get to about 2330.  The graph shows latency variation returning to normal (for interleaved).

And the speed check looks good.

My Broadband Speed Test

And Battlefield 1 is no longer showing latency variation (and package loss tonight) warnings.  I've had 1891 CRC errors since I rebooted this morning.

Surely this is something to do with sharing the service with other users at the popular times?  Is this what 'crosstalk' does/is?

Browni
Aspiring Hero

There are indications of peak time congestion but the 1st x6 graph does not fit with that.
disposalist
Grafter

Same again today.  Peak hours = peaks of bad quality.

disposalist
Grafter

Well the good news for my situation is it turns out there is a problem with the "virtual pathway" and contention on it.  The bit responsible will get upgraded in July.  50% of bills until then, so... pretty good marks for Plusnet.

It's a relief to me that it's something so readily obvious (to them) and fixable.  We all know it so often isn't that straight forward...  Good luck everyone else...

disposalist
Grafter

This fix can't happen soon enough. 27000 CRCs in the last 6 days.  Ping all over the place.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

VLAN utilisation will have no effect on the number of CRC errors. CRC errors are between your modem and the DSLAM. The VLAN capacity issue is beyond the DSLAM. I suspect they are two separate issues, or the CRC count is not a significant issue.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@SpendLessTime wrote:

I will be shot for this BUT I would use Twitter or Facebook as posts there are harder to miss for the staff.

Now we've expanded the team and pulling the community posts through the internal lithium systems like Facebook/Twitter, we're starting to try our best to cover the community posts as best as we can.

Apologies @disposalist that your thread was missed previously.

Let us know how you get on when the work's completed.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Gandalf

And my post was two weeks ago so I was right unfortunately that posts can be ignored by staff. I know you and others try hard and that more staff have been taken on but this thread really proved my point. Both on you picking me up and the thread being missed. 

So I stand by my statement until there comes a time I'm proved wrong consistently. Hopefully once the new bods have been trained and let loose.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hey SpendLessTime,

I'm sorry that we weren't able to give you a response as soon as we'd have liked.

Anoush is a new member to the team even though he's been posting here a while in his own time.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
disposalist
Grafter

Thanks for the previous replies, folks.

I have now had completed works.  They tell me the issue is 'fixed'.  I am still getting latency variation and even packet loss in the 'busy times' of the day (after school until late evening).