cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly recently getting high level of CRC errors and variation in latency

disposalist
Grafter

Suddenly recently getting high level of CRC errors and variation in latency

The last week or so I've noticed poor performance when playing Battlefield 1.  They have quite complex network statistics available and these indicate a high variation in network latency and even some packet loss.  I haven't had this at all since October until last week.

On checking http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest my download speed varies from 10Mb/s to 40MB/s.  I have been reliably getting around 70Mb/s since joining Plusnet many months ago.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS gives similar results.

I have noted that I am now getting 1000+ CRC errors per day and when I checked my router DSL info a few days back, my path mode had spontaneously changed to Interleaved, whereas I had been Fastpath before.

Something has clearly changed for the worse.  How do I proceed?

31 REPLIES 31
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Suddenly recently getting high level of CRC errors and variation in latency

Hi , I also play a lot of BF1 or  4 , and was having similar problems Sad  variation is speeds at odd times  https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Odd-TBB-test/td-p/1393324

have you a TBB monitor set up , and try their speed test http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors.html

have you the PN router ?

and what does it say here http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/   and does it improve if you reboot Via the router web page to get a different gateway ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
disposalist
Grafter

Thanks for the helpful info there (why don't the Plusnet staff reply as quickly and usefully?).

I will set up a TBB monitor (need to register and the email is taking a while to come through).

I'm not using the PN router - I have an Asus DSL-AC68U.  I did do a factory reset because of weird latency issues and because my settings had changed to interleaved and lost G.IMP.  My settings returned to Fastpath and G.IMPed, but the latency issues remain (perhaps got worse, if anything).

I suppose my DLM may have been reset because of my factory reset?  If I'm still getting variance and latency and weird speed checks is it safe to assume it's not "my problem"?

(By the way, I am an IT pro, but not an expert in networks or broadband).

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

I have the same router Thumbs_Up 

For some reason , still not  found  A gateway hop does improve the situation for some time Smiley

There are a lot of Knowledgeable people here and they can help 

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

See this thread for comments by other Asus DSL-AC68U users also having problems recently.

disposalist
Grafter

I can't get a mail from Think Broadband.  Not going to my spam - no registration mail Sad

disposalist
Grafter

Ok so I've gotten ThinkBroadband's Quality checker going: -

My Broadband Ping - Disposalist BQM

And the quality check at DSLReports

So looks to me like quality absolutely goes to poop once we hit hours where more than two people are using fibre...

Just rebooted my router to see if that is an issue, but it looks to me like it's *not* the router (my service was fine all day until kids-get-home-from-school time).

Post reboot: -

Still terrible.  Also package loss and latency variance warnings from Battlefield 1 (was fine playing during the day - yes I had the day off).

1050+ CRC errors in the hour 2230 to 2330...

disposalist
Grafter

And just got disconnected (when my quality was fine) and when reconnected, back on interleaved.

What is going on?

disposalist
Grafter

Why am I paying for an 80/20 line?

My line attenuation is fine, my SNR Margin is fine, but my ping is varying badly and my speed is worse than when I was on ADSL...

Argh
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

What is your router reporting on connection and max attainable speeds on the router, and what else is using your bandwidth when you do your tests?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Posting speed tests on their doesn't really give much to work with I'm afraid.

First of all, are you testing wired or wirelessly? Wired is strongly recommended.

Have you tried using the test socket? http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

What are your estimated speeds? http://dslchecker.bt.com/ will tell you that.

What is your current IP profile? The further diagnostics from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ will tell you that.

What is the Plusnet line speed? https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate for that

What are your router stats?

Phew!

disposalist
Grafter

I should say: I've had extensive dealings in the past with TalkTalk and (and a previous supplier) eliminated all the usual suspects for problems at my end way more than most people do/have.  I'm an IT pro and a technophile (though my knowledge of VDSL is limited).

I guess I was hoping for some effort from Plusnet to tell me what they wanted to know and to do some investigation, but I guess I should know better.  I've had to code my own ping monitor and produce spreadsheets of historic SNR and attenuation to companies before now to make them actually do something.

Oh well...

My system is wired with cat6 and a shielded and very short telephone wire from router to the main socket.  The main socket we re-fitted a few years back and is itself only a few meters from where the BT line hits the roof.  No dodgy connections.

I have in the past had my home setup tested by Brightsparks engineers maybe 2 or 3 times.  Flying colours every time.

My range should be between 40 and 70 according to DSLChecker.BT.com and, as I said in my OP, was near 70 for all the months since going with Plusnet.

Plusnet line speed is 77.4 (but was 79.9 a couple of weeks ago according to my router - this has gone down with being changed to interleaved).

Not sure what you mean by router stats.  The relevant ones are usually attenuation and SNR margin and the like?  As I say, the attenuation and SNR look good (7.8 and 6. Cool but according to ThinkBroadband monitoring (and Battlefield 1 network monitoring) my ping latency during the day spikes a little but is mostly around 25.  After 4pm it varies badly and can get up to 120.  At this time my download speed also gets to around 20 (during the day it it 60+).

Just queued for 50 minutes on live chat for it to get from position 9 to 1 and then it tells me "there are no agents available"...  Awesome.

Nothing else is using bandwidth when I test, by the way.

disposalist
Grafter

Such a shame TalkTalk were so bad in some ways (long long story summarised: YEARS of 'investigation' ending with refusing to instruct BT to perform the changes that a BT engineer recommended to fix my issues) because their forums were excellent in that a TalkTalk technician would respond and help within a day or two...

My ADSL problems disappeared with getting fibre.  I changed to Plusnet when getting fibre hoping for a good service.  I had a good service for months, but now there are problems, what do I do?
Can you forum regulars advise on the best channel to actually get an investigation going?

disposalist
Grafter

So, I started monitoring with ThinkBroadband's quality monitor and doing regular speedtests a couple of days ago.

It's looking like the issues happen between approx 4pm and 11:30pm.  This is what it felt like for a couple of weeks (I work from home, so I use the internet at all hours), but the charts are obviously better 'evidence' than my irregular observations.

The large evening peaks are me watching NetFlix, but the rest is 'normal' unloaded latency increase and variation.

And after some terrible speed tests earlier, now: - Could this be to do with bad handling of contention with other customers in the popular period? Could this have changed recently for some reason?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

when compared to my graph yours looks bad , BF1 between 4- 6 and 8 - 11 pmtbb.PNG