Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden speed drop

steve_v
Dabbler

Sudden speed drop

Hello,

I have just seen from my router that the downstream speed has dropped to 17998 - previously it had been 23399 or so (don't remember the exact digits) and when I first had fibre it was 26000ish.

From the router, it looks like I could achieve a higher speed - the SNR is used to be around 6.

Upstream Downstream

Current Rate(kbps) 4812 17998

Max Rate(kbps) 4846 26375

SNR Margin(dB) 6.1 8.9

Line Attenuation(dB) 0 26.2

Errors(pkts) 0 0

Is it possible to get the line checked or profile looked at please?

Alternatively, what can I do to improve the situation?

Steve

11 REPLIES 11
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Sudden speed drop

Hi @steve_v,

I'm sorry that your speed has dropped and for any inconvenience that this is causing you. I've tested your line and the test hasn't picked up any faults but indicates that your line is currently banded to a maximum sync speed of 22.4mbps. I've raised this for a reset and, all being well, your speed should improve within 48 hours.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 22.4 Mbps
Upstream Speed 4.6 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 1055.1
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From05:15to05:30
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 4
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-22.4M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-09-10T11:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 18.0 Mbps 22.3 Mbps 21.5 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 0.5 Mbps 4.8 Mbps 4.3 Mbps
Up Time 843.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.2 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-09-23T11:17:22.115+01:00 2019-09-23T11:32:22.115+01:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
steve_v
Dabbler

Thanks for your help - I am at work now but will have a look at the router when I get home.

Can you explain what the "Interference Observed in Days" parameter means? Does the report mean that interference has been seen in the last four days or for four days in a certain period?

Regards,

Steve

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Steve

As far as I'm aware it's the past 4 days although the interference the test has picked up on may not be affecting your service. It's difficult to say what the interference could be, but it's possible it might be some form of REIN or SHINE issue.

I'd personally leave things until the line is reset and your speeds go up, and if that causes further problems/your speeds go back down again, I'd recommend checking there's no electrical/cordless devices near your router which may be causing the issue and trying a different modem/router as the next step. 

If you're still using the ancient Openreach modem and Hub Zero (Sagemcom 2704N) router combination, we'd be happy to post you a Hub One to replace both of those boxes although we may need to recontract you to send one out free of charge. To arrange this I'd call our customer options team on 0800 013 2632.

If you're wanting to use your own router, the details Here should assist when setting it up.

Failing that, I'd head on over to http://faults.plus.net to report a fault to us so we can arrange an engineer to investigate further, although hopefully it doesn't come to any of that and the line reset fixes things for you.

Let us know how it goes.

[edit]

Having said that, your line is dropping out heavily which would be the cause by the restricted line speed:

image15692420033946

I'd suspect that when the line reset goes through, this will cause the drops to increase in frequency.

I'd recommend going through the troubleshooting steps I've mentioned above.

Keep us posted on how things go

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
steve_v
Dabbler

Thanks for the graph - it appears that my system was OK for 16 days until last Monday. Can you tell if anything has been done to my line by BT/Openreach/...?

The connection then drops frequently between midnight and 6am but is better at the weekend. Maybe it is the central heating? It was warmer over the weekend?

Is it possible for me to get the graphs myself? That would help me know when to look and whether I've fixed the problem.

Will look at the link REIN or SHINE link...

Thanks

Steve

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us Steve

Can you tell if anything has been done to my line by BT/Openreach/...?

I'm afraid line tests aren't showing any causes so it'd be difficult for us to find out.

The connection then drops frequently between midnight and 6am but is better at the weekend. Maybe it is the central heating? It was warmer over the weekend?

Does your central heating work on a timer that goes on/off at the times things are disconnecting?

Is it possible for me to get the graphs myself? That would help me know when to look and whether I've fixed the problem.

Unfortunately it's not possible for you to check yourself online but feel free to nudge us here and we'll happily post up a fresh graph for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
steve_v
Dabbler

Hello again. I was going to wait a few days before asking for a new graph and GEA report but it appears that the profile on my line has dropped to a slower connection speed - the router says it is running at 20000 but thinks it could do 28000ish.

I unplugged lots of things yesterday evening and so am interested to see whether I am still getting the disconnects - presumably if I am still having the noise issues then the connection speed will be held lower.

So please can you provide the new graph and report so we can see if I am still getting the disconnects overnight.

Thanks,

Steve

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Steve. Here you go:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID [redacted]

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 4.6 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 1055.1
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From05:15to05:30
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 5
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-22.4M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-09-11T10:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 18.0 Mbps 22.3 Mbps 21.5 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 0.5 Mbps 4.8 Mbps 4.3 Mbps
Up Time 838.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.0 Sec
Retrains 0.0 2.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-09-24T10:02:23.533+01:00 2019-09-24T10:17:23.533+01:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

It looks like you've had around three drops today. So far it seems to be less than on previous days.

Hope this helps.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
steve_v
Dabbler

Thanks for the reports and your ongoing help.

Does the gap at 6:30 - 7:00 this morning signify anything?

How many disconnects each day would be a tolerable amount? Presumably even if the connection is running nicely there is the chance of occasional disconnects but this should not force the connection speed to banded?

I've found a connection monitor program to see how often the connection is dropping so can start tracking this myself.

Have also ordered a portable radio so that I can wander around the house at odd hours of the day and night checking for noise sources! It is slightly puzzling as the connection was up for 16 days but now is so flaky. I've not got any new appliances so don't know what has changed.

Regards,

Steve

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us Steve,

Does the gap at 6:30 - 7:00 this morning signify anything?

When I first saw the gap I thought you were troubleshooting then but if that's not the case I'm not sure to be honest.

How many disconnects each day would be a tolerable amount? Presumably even if the connection is running nicely there is the chance of occasional disconnects but this should not force the connection speed to banded?

The threshold that Openreach would deem an intermittent connection to be is 3 drops in 24 hours, or 10 drops in 72 hours. Although I've personally successfully raised faults with fewer disconnections if there are other signs of a fault.

I've found a connection monitor program to see how often the connection is dropping so can start tracking this myself.

Have also ordered a portable radio so that I can wander around the house at odd hours of the day and night checking for noise sources! It is slightly puzzling as the connection was up for 16 days but now is so flaky. I've not got any new appliances so don't know what has changed.

Sounds good although it's probably worth noting that the disconnections may not be interference related. It's up to you, but what I'd say is reasonably expected is to try the standard troubleshooting (Master socket, new modem/router, check there's no obvious signs of interference near your router). Failing that I'd personally go for an engineer to investigate further.

But it sounds like you've committed to checking things out thoroughly, let me know how it goes Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
steve_v
Dabbler

I've been experimenting with a few things and since then seem to have had a more stable connection.

Please can you provide another connection timeline graph and the the other test report?

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @steve_v,

Thanks for getting back to us, we are happy to hear that your connection has stabilised. I have also tested the line and although the banding been removed, it appears the line speed has settled at 23Mbps which is within your estimates.

Please get back to us should the connection begin to drop or the speed drops below your estimates and we will investigate this further.

Connection Log

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team