Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden speed drop.

fred77
Rising Star

Sudden speed drop.

Hello.

After several months of constant 38mbps download, and always coming back to that speed after a normal reset, my speed dropped this morning to 32mbps after an 11 day reset. I have just now reset the modem once and it has re-connected at exactly the same download speed, 32.40mbps.

I am loathe to reset it again as I believe this can cause problems. Can someone from Plusnet Technical check this out for me please as I would obviuosly like to get back to the higher speed. I always check my speed using a direct line from my PC to the modem, and I repeat, since joining Plusnet some months ago it has been rock solid at 38mbps. The upspeed at around 6mbps remains the same as before.

Cheers,John

10 REPLIES 10
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Sudden speed drop.

Hi there, 

I've just looked into this and have tested your line too and nothing has changed either with the line rate on our supplies systems or on ours which is set to 37200kbps the same way it has been since 22/4. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
fred77
Rising Star

Thanks for checking, Adam.

Have you any idea what may be causing this fall in speed? Shall I try another power off and on?

Cheers, John

fred77
Rising Star

Adam,

Tried another re-setting and got the same figures, 32.40mbps down and 6.04 up.

Any tdeas as to why this drop bearing in mind your findings. I would like to see it return to it's normal downspeed.

Thanks,

John

fred77
Rising Star

Adam,

Do these figures tell you anything?

Previously the down noise margin has always been 6 or lower. Not seen it as high as 8.

(hot weather?)!

Please let me know. Thanks, John

0 Days, 1 Hours 15 Minutes 56 Seconds

6.04 Mbps / 32.40 Mbps

6052 / 45827

6 dB / 8.2 dB

25.3 dB

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi your max data rate is 45mb whilst your current sync is 32Mb so there is room for a Speed increase should the Nosie margin drop back down to the 6db mark, the Nosie margin being 8db looks like DLM is trying to keep the sync stable by reducing the speed.

It could be because of the hot weather expanding the line joints etc leading to more interference, but it could be due to a line fault the Hub stats don't really give a lot of detail to have an idea what the problem could be down to so you would be best getting one of the forum staff to look into it further. 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

It's nothing to do with heat and lines expanding, the reason for the high SNRM is that the line has been banded at 32.4Mbps, so you can't sync above that speed. This doesn't agree with the speed that @adamwalker reported but I think that is because the GEA test does not show the current speed values but some from a week or to ago so effectively a useless test. There are 2 ways to get banding removed, by an engineer visit after fixing a fault or by asking PlusNet to request a DLM reset. They then pass this to their suppliers (i.e. some part of BT) who may action it, if you are lucky.Wink 

fred77
Rising Star

Thanks RealAleMadrid.

Your explanation sounds about right to me. How do I get Plusnet to sort this out? By phoning them presumably? Have you any ideas as to why this should have happened?

If Adam is looking at these posts perhaps he would let me/us know and start the procedure.

Many thanks.

John

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi John, 

Your line isn't banded so a DLM reset wouldn't do anything. 

On the other hand I've run another set of diagnostics and this time they are indicating a fault so that's fortunate (in a way as I see it!) that the issue has become conveniently observable now. 

We'll need engineer intervention so please report a fault over at http://faults.plus.net and do let us know here when you have. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
fred77
Rising Star

Thanks to all who helped. My connection is now running fine. It was a fault on the line which has been fixed by Openreach/Plusnet.

John

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @fred77,

Thank you for getting back in touch. I'm glad to hear that this fault is now resolved.

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if you experience any further problems with your connection or if there's anything else that you'd like to discuss.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team