cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden speed drop.

Aly
Rising Star

Sudden speed drop.

Had Plusnet fibre at my home address for 6 months now and had no issues so far.

The other day I noticed my speeds had dropped, done a speed test and I couldn't achieve higher than 12mb. I've always got the full 38mb from my unlimited package.

Just reset my modem and router and when I do a speed test it shoots up to 35mb then it drops straight to 28mb and sits there. Almost feels like my line is being restricted. I've disabled my QOS on my router just to make sure.

I use an Asus RT-AC68U which is highly rated on here and I'm connected via Ethernet on my PC, latency is still great 14ms but the speed drop does seem odd.

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Sudden speed drop.

Hi @Aly

What is the Plusnet Line Speed set to at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

And what is the BTW IP Profile given at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do (just enter your phone number and click "Run Diagnostics Test")

If the Plusnet Line Speed is set much lower than the IP Profile download speed range, then a quick call/Chat with Plusnet will get the Plusnet Line Speed raised.

Worth checking there first although it doesn't sound like that is the fault.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Aly
Rising Star

Thanks for the advice,

Well I thought I was getting somewhere because my Line speed was at 31mb, so I reset my Openreach box and it went up to 37mb. Done speed tests after that and it was back up to 38mb, great.

Come home from work had another check and now it's up to 38.6mb:

Phone exchange:
HOUGHTON LE SPRING
Estimated line speed:
32Mb (This may vary between 23Mb and 32.1Mb) - Checked on 2016-04-28 17:50:41
Current line speed:
38.6 Mb

However just done the BT speed test:

Download Speed: 22.53
Upload Speed: 1.83

I have no idea what has happened but this has been happening for the last few days.
I contacted Plusnet support and they are adamant it's an issue at my end when I've changed nothing I have a good router, I've tried different devices, reset stuff.

Anyone from Plusnet support can look into this? 

Aly
Rising Star

Anyone from Staff going to comment on this?

I'm now down to 11mb, at this rate by the end of next week I'll have no download speed at all.
Last week including the previous 6 months I was getting 38mb.

I wouldn't mind if Plusnet were willing to help customers but even the support aren't willing to help.

FunnyFunnyFunny

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Your router stats would help a lot more than speed tests, which could be impacted with other things.