Did you mean: 

Sudden speed drop fibre extra

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Slow fibre extra

Discussed with our suppliers quality assurance team.

Looks like there's a potential issue on the VLAN your service is connected to at the exchange, so they've arranged to move your circuit to a different one. Can you let us know how your speed looks tomorrow night?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
diggerdr
Grafter

I shall do yes, Thanks for your swift work. If that is the issue then the time it has taken to resolve is brilliant and you have been a star @Gandalf

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems, fingers crossed. Cheesy

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix
Speeds OK tonight?
(Assuming you’re home tonight that is)
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
diggerdr
Grafter

FIXED FIXED FIXED!!!!!!!!

A massive thankyou @Gandalf..... Everything is working 100% I thought when the engineer said there was nothing showing that the long process other customers are being put through was about to start for us. I can honestly say that if it wasn't for your help @Gandalf we would be still scratching our heads.

Im not techy enough to fully understand what was wrong with the vlan. As i understand it was getting problems with throughput at busy times. I wonder if the issue is the same for others with the same complaint? I dunno..... Anyway all good here and very happy with the help from the forum members. This forum is way better than ringing customer service.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

FIXED FIXED FIXED!!!!!!!!

Great success Cheesy

A massive thankyou @Gandalf..... Everything is working 100% I thought when the engineer said there was nothing showing that the long process other customers are being put through was about to start for us. I can honestly say that if it wasn't for your help @Gandalf we would be still scratching our heads.

No problems at all, I'm really glad this was a relatively quick fix. Thumbs_Up

I'll admit, I'm a bit surprised that it was a VLAN issue because our initial checks indicated potential interference. But it looks like I was wrong (and happily wrong) as the engineer concluded no fault with the Openreach network and our suppliers QA team found an issue on their side. I'd like to extend the thanks to them!

Im not techy enough to fully understand what was wrong with the vlan. As i understand it was getting problems with throughput at busy times.

Yeah that's how I understand it too. Our suppliers can see the peak throughput on a VLAN, and if it's close to a set threshold where the VLAN can't cope with that much throughput, things start slowing down at busy times.

For example, a peak throughput might be 200MB, the threshold might be 300MB, and the maximum throughput the VLAN can handle might be 500MB.

I think in your case they mentioned to me that the figures didn't look right, so they raised it with their capacity management team to investigate the VLAN and moved your circuit to a different one.

I wonder if the issue is the same for others with the same complaint?

Some are, some don't seem to be, and some need a little more digging.

Anyway all good here and very happy with the help from the forum members.

Alls well that ends well Smiley Feel free to let me/us know over here if you ever have any further issues at all.

This forum is way better than ringing customer service.

Whilst I'd say that's really good to hear, ideally we want to provide this level of support through any channel of communication that we offer, so I'll be passing feedback on where appropriate to the people who looked at your fault ticket.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet