Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden speed drop fibre extra

FIXED
diggerdr
Grafter

Sudden speed drop fibre extra

Can anyone tell me why in the morning i have 60 plus mbps yet in the evening it falls to less than 15mbps.

plusnet team were next to useless as i constantly explained my connection is wired yet their advice was change the wireless channel.

the line drops every evening so my relaxing and gaming whilst the missus streams on amazon is right outta the window.

thanks Carl (noob)

50 REPLIES 50
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Sudden speed drop fibre extra

Moderator's Note Topic moved to more appropriate board for visibility.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Welcome to the Forum @diggerdr

There are a number of posts along these lines in the Forum recently. If a Plusnet staff member picks up your post - and they may not - you may get a recommendation from them, and they may be able to look themselves at the possible causes of your problem.

Failing that, I would be inclined to run through the checks at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and then report a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults

Do the BT speed check (part of the troubleshooter) when you have a poor download speed, not during the morning!

diggerdr
Grafter

I reported the fault but they say the line looks ok and told me to raise a fault myself. i have done that and all the trouble shoot etc etc. Its odd as we have used plusnet on unlimited broadband for years and decided for the extra £5 we would get the faster speed. since then it has been bang on all day until the early evening when it some times makes dial up look like it is a better option and fluctuates between 5mbps to 12mbps.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

To follow up on @BrightonRock post. There are a number of similar posts on the board e.g.  This one   There is an internal investigation undeway to get to the bottom of the problem, but not all front line staff may yet be aware.

When you do the BT check please take the Advanced option - this will record the results in the supplier's system so that they can be reviewed as part of the investigation for your problem

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

diggerdr
Grafter

Thanks @MauriceC i have read through the attached link and the issue is exactly the same. Odd though as our previous connection was stable 24hrs but since changing up it went toilet from then on. this is my current speed

BrightonRock
Pro

Not good: but you don't need me to tell you that. I suspect that you have done this, but do make sure that when you do a BT speed test (during a low speed episode) that you run the advanced option to record the low speed (as @MauriceC recommends).

Your issue might be the same system problem as others are reporting - you read the link @MauriceC posted - but it could be something else.

The bottom line is, of course, that Plusnet needs to identify the problem and cure it; putting the right information into their faults system encourages that.

Just as a matter of interest: do you have a fixed IP address?

diggerdr
Grafter

i dont think i do. Well i havent set one up just use what the standard settings are with plusnet . how do i find out?

BrightonRock
Pro

You pay a small one-off charge to get a fixed address (you haven't, so you don't have one) and you don't need a fixed address for most normal use. I was asking as some people with them have reported throughput problems and I wondered if you fell into that category (turns out you don't, so just ignore the issue).

Please let us know how matters develop.

diggerdr
Grafter

@BrightonRock Ahh thats how you get em, I have wondered. Im not very tech savy when it comes to the whole connection side of computers, i build my own gaming pc and program it to run as i want but let my isp do the connection, ip etc etc apart from the odd port forward depending on games.

Last night the connection dropped so low it was reading in kbps yet as expected this morning as i type this the connection is above 70mbps. various calls to PN have been a waste of time, i even mentioned i am not the only customer of theirs that has the same issues, no matter who i speak to they can go no deeper than "you need to change the wifi channel" regardless of me saying im on a wired connection ethernet to modem - Modem to master socket 5c.

This is really frustrating as i am trying to prepare for a gaming competiton qualifier that if successful could put me into a local team to attend a national competition. Sadly at the moment the only game i can play without lag is solitaire and im not sure there is a catagory for that Cheesy.

I have read that a change of vlan has helped alot of people with this issue but not sure what that is. I wish PN had been more productive in making their sales staff aware of the issue as less than a week since upgrade and nothing but issues. Surely something like this needs to be addressed so as not to connect other customers resulting in further complaints and damage to their reputation. This is the first time i have ever had issues with PN and the call centre is usually very helpful but i think this is beyond the basic information they are given and needs to be with specific engineers but i was unable to get that point across.

Sorry i have ranted a bit there. Just find it frustrating after years of unbeatable service.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

I've added this incident to the list of similar reported incidents.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

diggerdr
Grafter

Slow fibre extra

This is really starting to annoy me now. All day the service has been over 60mbps slower than what im expected to pay for. evening and weekend drops has to be a cabinet issue so why isnt common sense being used. im ready for throwing my pc out the window because its currently a dam ornament due to lack of knowledge or information on PN side. Why allow a customer upgrade their service when they know these issues are affecting people left right and centre and not being resolved in an acceptable time. 5mbps what am i meant to do with that???? AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry I am not happy!!!!! 

BrightonRock
Pro

Re: Slow fibre extra

@diggerdr Has Plusnet replied to your fault report yet? You have a problem with your service: there can be no doubt about that. Unfortunately I suspect that there could be many causes. But your point is well made that Plusnet has to diagnose and sort it.

diggerdr
Grafter

No they haven't replied, basically i was told the speed at their end is normal and no fault were seen. i have to wait until the engineers decide what to do. The connection was 100% until we changed from unlimited to extra,

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Can you post the results of putting your phone number into the DSL Checker and a copy of the Help Desk page assuming you are using the Hub one, making sure you hide any sensitive information such as Telephone Number, username and password.