cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden speed - drop fibre extra

liane14
Dabbler

Sudden speed - drop fibre extra

Looking for help/advice. On the fibre extra and been getting 48-49 download and upload of 6-8(cab restrictions mean I'll never get near 76) consistently for last few months but suddenly it's dropped to 41-42mb with upload remaining the same. I know that may not sound much but when you're now getting close to speeds of the 38mb package, you start to be concerned..

Hub is wired directly to telco socket and is running a mix of wired and wireless devices. Have bridged two other hubs to use as slaves but temporarily unplugged them and did a wired test on pc via safe mode with all wireless off to get those figures so my obvious question is why the sudden drop?

Thanks in advanced!

Applied screen shots of both BTW and Speedtest.net for comparison

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter

12 REPLIES 12
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Sudden speed - drop fibre extra

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're having speed issues.

Testing your line is showing the router in sync at 44.9mbps

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 44.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 6.8 Mbps

As it's unfortunately sitting within the estimates of between 32-44mbps, there isn't much that we can do about that. If you haven't already I'd recommend plugging your router into the test socket (if you have one).

Having said that, your throughput looks a little slow from the screenshot and I am also detecting a major service outage that's currently active, affecting your broadband circuit. It should have been resolved by last night.

At the moment, we have no new updates, but it shouldn't take long.

If your throughput doesn't change over the coming days, on a wired connection, I'd advise reporting this to us at http://faults.plus.net I hope this helps you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
liane14
Dabbler

Thanks for the help. Any more info on the outage if it's cleared or if there is a current SLA on a possible fix?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems.

Testing your line is showing the MSO has been cleared. If you're still having throughput issues, I'd recommend reporting a fault to us through the links above. Let us know how you get on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
liane14
Dabbler

I spoke on the phone but all I got was because within estimates there is nothing they can do. Rather frustrating really as it's a noticeable drop but I can't fight it and don't know what to do now is speeds are not far off the lower package. Only benefit really is slightly better upload

Any suggestions welcome but think I'm stuck
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @liane14, while I do appreciate it's not the response you're hoping for, I'm afraid there's little we can do as the connection is performing within the estimates for the line.

You can report the issue at http://faults.plus.net, however as the sync speed is currently 44.1down with an estimate of 32.4-44Mbps we wouldn't be able to guarantee an increase in speeds.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
liane14
Dabbler

I'll keep an eye out as I'd rather not drop down in package but oddly today it's gone up to 45mb. Can't work out why I've suddenly crept up closer to what I was previously getting but not complaining!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

This might help ... https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fingers crossed it creeps up further

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
liane14
Dabbler

Re: Sudden speed drop/intermittent - fibre extra

Was looking on the up but since Hub restarted (orange light) around 5 days ago, been scraping 40mb but getting loads of pages via two different types of phones showing taking too long to respond then suddenly works and various errors such as one screen cap shown. Speeds weren't ideal but manageable but sudden issues with sites loading is starting be a pain in the bum!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Do the wired devices have the same issues?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
liane14
Dabbler

It sure is (but not as frequent). I've taken the option to downgrade to fibre unlimited which was a pain but wasn't getting value for it anymore.

On a sidenote, my parents are on the lower bundle (fibre unlimited) and suddenly gone from 33mb / 2mb up to 40-43mb / 6mb up.

Have they been moved on to up to 52mb package like BT offer or is it just luck?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Mind PMing me their username and I'll check things out?

Cheers

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet