cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden slow speeds

ma9mwah
Dabbler

Sudden slow speeds

For the past two days my speeds have suddenly dropped. Nothing has changed within my setup and i've tested multiple machines on the LAN (1Gbps).
Sync speeds are still what i expect them to be, just actual throughput is very poor.

14 REPLIES 14
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Sudden slow speeds

Hi @ma9mwah

Posting to the forums will only elicit help from other customers, If you want Plusnet to fix the issue then you will need to go through the fault finding procedure that they explain here
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/broadband-faults-guide-i-have-a-fault/
And the sooner you start the better especially as for the next fortnight  the UK slows down so fixes maybe longer than normal.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
ma9mwah
Dabbler

Raised ticket #116630235 on Monday. Still waiting to hear back.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

@georgelnx that is not true there are Plusnet staff ie the CRT ( customer relation team) that visit the forums to help who I find do a much better job, although that said they don't frequent as much as they use to sadly,
raising a ticket is one of the first steps though. 
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@terranova
Well the OP posted 4 days ago, I posted a day later and nobody else offered any help. Nil, nothing , zilch.
I will leave it there as it will mask the OP's issue.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
ma9mwah
Dabbler

Any chance a plusnet employee could look into this? all the other threads seen to be being handled by them.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I can see one of my colleagues has replied to your fault ticker earlier today. From our testing there is nothing obviously wrong, the line isn't dropping a lot and the sync speeds look fine.
If you're still seeing lower speeds and have an openreach modem then it's worth trying a PPPoE connection direct to the modem: http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ma9mwah
Dabbler

Still the same when connection via PPPoE
With PlusNet account: ma9mwah@plusdsl.net

Using BT TEST: speedtest@speedtest_domain

obviously something on the PN side which is reducing my connection down to @22Mb.  All connections my router shows a sync rate of 79,999 / 19,999
deathtrap
Grafter

You will likely have to raise it as a broadband fault and possibly repeat the BTW speedtest (TAP3 ) once the support respond asking you to , It's not unusual for BTW to attempt or suggest  to ISP's that an engineer is needed to visit your home, This is pointless for  Poor throughput /Performance or congestion related  faults,  as the problem lies within BTW's network , unless Plusnet are in some way causing the poor throughput,
If it only happens at certain times of the day  it is likely to be contention /congestion
ma9mwah
Dabbler

happens 24/7 so its unlikely to be contention /congestion i would have thought.
ma9mwah
Dabbler

Still slow speeds, but got an message back off PN saying
[quote="PN Support"]you are in the middle of being migrated to our new network and the order is due to complete by the end of the day on Tuesday.
anyone know what they mean by new network? and why this is causing speed issues
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

That's the first i have heard of a new network, I would have thought if there was to be one Plusnet would make a announcement about it,  sounds more like a made up excuse or something i dunno. 
Kaz28

My speed has dropped considerably over the last week or so.  just got off the phone with Plusnet who have told me the same, that I am getting moved over to their new network. They said its random and everyone will eventually be on this network. I wish they had told me before,  I only rang up because I never knew what was going on and why my speeds were so awful.
Kaz
ma9mwah
Dabbler

seems whatever this 'new network' is it has worked. Not sure why they couldn't just inform people from the start, and I don't really see why the old network would be capped either. oh well

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Kaz28
Plusnet who have told me the same, that I am getting moved over to their new network. They said its random and everyone will eventually be on this network.

Does anyone know what this refers to? Or is it just 'hot air' to deflect dealing with problems?