cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden massive speed drop

AndyH
Grafter

Re: Sudden massive speed drop

The profile is based on the sync speed - so that has dropped a little bit. It might be down to cross talk as your cabinet fills up, it's hard to know.
In terms of your actual performance now though, there should be another test to run (Continue button is at the bottom) after you run the Further Diagnostics and fail that. Could you run that test the next time your speeds are low/below the acceptable level? Plusnet will probably ask you to run this.
edgeways
Grafter

Speeds back up to normal again this morning ( 74 down 15 up ) !
Seems like a night time issue, definitely not router or similar related.
Could this be unreported maintenance / fault  etc ?
I will continue to monitor and if recurs this evening will raise question with support.
Mike.
AndyH
Grafter

It's probably likely to be capacity related. Your exchange is a child of Ramsgate, which might have some capacity problems.
I would raise a fault ticket. If you can run the BT Speed Tester (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/) and the Further Diagnostics, this will test if your line is performing below an acceptable level. If it is, it will give you another test to run (Continue button is at the bottom).
edgeways
Grafter

Here we go again. 9;15 pm speed suddenly dropped again to 10 down 15 up !
Been fine all day at normal speeds 75 down 15 up.
Beginning to see a pattern here. Download speed suddenly drops to ridiculously low  figures at around this time having been normal all day.
Can't see that this could be a capacity issue as speed drops are so massive and this has only happened over the last few days.
I wonder could this be linked to the BT maintenance shown on the service status page.
If any PN staff read this I would appreciate an opinion before I have to go down the long tortuous route of raising a support ticket.
AndyT
Grafter

Hi edgeways,
I've checked your exchange capacity and the Virtual Path you're connected to has no reported congestion.  Therefore, I'd advise raising a fault through for the faults team to investigate and escalate with Wholesale.
edgeways
Grafter

Thanks Andy T.
Will monitor speeds carefully again today. If problem persists will raise fault as suggested
Mike (edgeways )
edgeways
Grafter

Further to my last post and all day monitoring, exactly the same pattern of events today. Speeds normal all day at around 73 down/15 up until around 5pm when speeds began to drop.
by 9 pm have reached 9.3 down/ 16 up !
However I have been looking at other similar threads on the forum, notably  " any capacity issues " . It seems that my problem is remarkably similar to those widely discussed in that topic.
In particular I note the comments from Plus net detailing some issues in  "New and ongoing reports " as below
                                                    "  New and ongoing reports "
Exchange(s) Problems Occuring Reference Reported Comments Percentage of Plusnet Customers Last Updated
Manchester Increased peak time latency and reduced speed TBC 10/3/15 Affecting both ADSL2+ and Fibre customers in and around the Manchester area including Cheshire, North Wales, Lancashire and Merseyside. TBC 15/4/15
Stepney Green Increased peak time latency and reduced speed TBC 15/4/15 Affecting both ADSL2+ and Fibre customers in and around parts of London, Essex and Kent TBC 15/4/15
Colindale Small amount of packet loss at peak TBC 15/4/15 Affecting both ADSL2+ and Fibre customers in different parts of the country TBC 15/4/15
Other areas under investigation.

Is there any reasonable chance of success with raising a fault ticket if there are apparently ongoing and widespread similar problems ?
Mike (edgeways )
edgeways
Grafter

Problem remains on going, speed last night reduced to 6.8 Mb down / 16 .4 up.!
Looking more and more like a capacity or contention issue.? Carried out numerous BT tests. Fine during the daytime ( 75 Mb) but showing download in the red after 4pm .
Have now raised fault ticket with support and await response
Having read more similar topics on the forum it seems that this problem is becoming widespread
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I can see the fault is with our faults team.
We'll get that chased up for you as soon as possible.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
edgeways
Grafter

Thank you Matthew.
Will keep posted on forum in due course.
Kind regards,
Mike
edgeways
Grafter

Update re this issue.
Engineer booked via support and called last Friday .  Very helpful. He carried out thorough testing and could find no fault with the connection
He stated that that line should support 80/ 20 no problem and that the evening slow down might be a result of congestion.
Amazingly, that very evening, the speeds all returned to normal  (75/16) and have remained fine since.
This return to normal apparently without any reported intervention by engineer nor support.
Will monitor this welcome return to normal service !
Mike (edgeways)
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Glad to hear this was sorted Mike. Feel free to pop a further comment if any more issues.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet