cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden massive speed drop

edgeways
Grafter

Sudden massive speed drop

Has any one else been affected by fibre speed  issues tonight.
On fibre max unlimited. Usual download speed 74 mb steady for months. Noticed slow down tonight, BT tester reports download 9.1mb upload 16 mb.
I wonder is this a local issue or is anyone else affected ?
edgeways.
26 REPLIES 26
Mantaray
Grafter

Re: Sudden massive speed drop

Same product, based in SW London, speed was 74 solid, then ever since the G.INP implementation a couple of weeks back has been down to 60+ ish, now tonight one reading was for 2!, changed multiple wireless settings and plugged in via ethernet and I'm reaching the heady heights of 18!
Can't find anything on the service status boards.
kmarchant
Hooked

Same here (Warrington).
Unlimit Fibre Extra - 3 months ago getting 70Mbs, dropped a bit over the last few weeks to 55Mbs. 
Today, same as you, sometimes 2Mbs, sometimes 20.  Ping times on speedtest.net up from 17ms to 80-100ms to best server.
Something is broke ?
Kevin
darklight
Grafter

Looks fine here tonight

i'm on gateway pcl-bng01
euanmc
Grafter

Been struggling with speeds all day. Reported a fault.
Usually get about 50mb but struggling to break 10mb
Mantaray
Grafter

Speeds back-up but not fully.
Mods - please can we have an answer as to what went wrong and how this isn't going to happen again?
edgeways
Grafter

Back to normal here this morning ( Broadstairs Kent )
74 down / 16 up. Nothing on service status . What went wrong ?
Will monitor closely for next few days.
Thanks to all who replied. It's always reassuring to know you are not alone when this kind of thing occurs.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Mantaray
Mods - please can we have an answer as to what went wrong and how this isn't going to happen again?

As just customers we know as much as you on this issue and have no special insight.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
tman247
Grafter

I've had huge problems with our FTTC connection yesterday afternoon, and into this morning. Speeds dropped right off the chart. Slow connection and poor DNS. I've rebooted the router and VHDSL modem. It seemed to get a 'bit' better, but certainly not what it should be. Any other clues as to what/why this happened?
I did notice last year as well that our connection profile dropped considerably too. Was on 76Mb/s down when I first had it installed, then it dropped to ~54Mb/s. PN didn't seem that concerned at the time. Still no better now.
Mantaray
Grafter

Quote from: Strat

As just customers we know as much as you on this issue and have no special insight.

Hi Strat I meant the PN members of the forum, I thought they were the mods, apologies, so I will ask again could someone from Plusnet please reply?
redhedgehog42
Grafter

I have noticed today that my speed which was originally about 70 down and 17 up but for months has been about 67 down and 16 up has suddenly dropped to 43 down and 16 up. I am on the Blythe Bridge (Staffordshire) exchange. It may of course be congestion but these are the worst speeds I have ever had - never below 60 down before - so I don't see that this is the probable cause for such a drastic drop today. It would be helpful if someone from Plusnet could give some indication as to what might be the cause.
AndyH
Grafter

@ Seahog - Could you run the BT Speed Test http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and Further Diagnostics? What is your IP Profile?
edgeways
Grafter

As I stated in earlier post, after this morning's return to normal speeds have been monitoring speed today and now guess what ? Back to ridiculously slow download speed for unlimited fibre extra tonight.
Results on BT tester 9 mb down 16 up ! ( usually 74 mb down 16 up )
Clearly some sort of fault condition but nothing showing on PN service status pages.
Any of you guys had this repeat of last night's issues tonight ?
Can anyone from PlusNet through any light on this or do I need to raise a fault ticket with support ?
Mike
redhedgehog42
Grafter

Reply to AndyH,
As time went on this evening my speeds fell right off a cliff, down to below 10 Down but still about 16 up.
My Profile was then, and still is,  Down 72.11  Up 20   
In the last hour after a very careful complete switch of and then , after a 10 minute delay, a switch on of the Openreach Modem, the Plusnet Router and all my other computer equipment my line speeds have returned to:
Down 69.78      Up 16.10  and    Latency 20.38  as measured by btwholesale speedtest with the profile as mentined above. I notice now that the IP which had been    84.51.139.96    ever since I joined Plusnet FTTC is now    146.90.98.249
The speeds are, within a whisker,  the same now whether directly connected via Ethernet or via Homeplugs and are the same on both my computers. (indeed the slowdown that I had experience likewise affected both computers no matter how connected- Wired, Homeplugs or wireless ).
My thinking is that the problem probably lay with the Modem or the Router as I had tried restarting the computers several times before. Any ideas what happened, what could have caused the slowdown? Is either the Modem or Router failing?Huh
I did raise a fault with Plusnet earlier today and I will contact them again tomorrow to update them.
Lets hope the speeds remain as they are now.
redhedgehog42
Grafter

Further to my reply to AndyH
I have just looked back at some old records and I notice that on 2 February 2015 my Profile Rate was 77.43 Down  and  20.00 Up, so contrary to what I originally thought my Profile Down has reduced from 77.43  to 72.11 - I don't know why. Any chance it will improve again do youthink?  The Profile Up has remained the same.