cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden loss of broadband on extension

FIXED
Bogdanoff

Sudden loss of broadband on extension

Hi all, I have had my broadband setup on an extension in my bedroom as the master socket in the hallway doesn't have an electrical outlet to plug in the router, this has been fine for several years however suddenly this morning I find I get no internet or even a dial tone on the extension but if I plug into the master socket then everything works fine, however this is not ideal as in order to plug in the router I have had to have en extension lead trailing across the hall to an available socket.

The master socket has what I believe to be an NTE5C v2 faceplate, the internet/phone works fine when plugged into the master socket and also when the faceplate is removed and plugged into the test socket however the extension no longer works. I am completely stumped as to what may have happend and wonder if anyone can provide some advice on what I can try? I have tried plusnet support but they are unable to help because it works on the master socket. any help/advice would be greatly appreciated cheers.

2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Sudden loss of broadband on extension

Fix

Check:-

1) the extension wiring connections on the master socket faceplate

2) the connections at the extension socket

3) the extension wiring for any damage/breaks

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bogdanoff

Re: Sudden loss of broadband on extension

The extension wiring within the master socket looks ok to me (although I'm no expert) as does the wiring within the extension socket and the wiring connecting the extension to the master socket is buried within the walls so it's not really easy to check. I'm wondering if the removable faceplate on the master socket could have gone faulty? as I've read that this bridges the connection between the master socket and any extension wiring although not sure what the chances are of this being the case.