cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop in download speed

hazelemma

Sudden drop in download speed

Since I first got PlusNet fibre broadband on 24/10/16, my speeds have been stable within, if at the lower end, of the estimated range and I've been very happy. But yesterday, for no apparent reason, my download speeds dropped nearly 5 mbps and have remained down. As evidenced below:-

Telephone number:01268763631Phone exchange: WICKFORD Estimated line speed:30Mb (This may vary between 22.2Mb and 30Mb) - Checked on 2016-10-08 15:16:49 Current line speed:20.2 Mb

My speeds at present, as shown on the bt wholesale speed checker, using a wired connection to my PC with no other connection to the router active, is 20.12 mbps download, 1.83 mbps upload (the upload hasn't varied). I normally check my speeds when alone in the home and no appliances have been changed/replaced to cause interference.

What is the problem and can anyone do anything about it?

Many thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
geek26
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Sudden drop in download speed

Hi there,

First of all what is the speed range supposed to be on your line please post data from DSL checker here. What speed are you recieving now?

James

hazelemma

Speed range according to DSL 30 -21.1 mbps. My current speed, according to speedtest.net, is:

Speedtest results 14/12/16

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5877655149

Download   19.51             Upload     1.89

Thanks.

geek26
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Okay thanks for that, please conduct the speed test and further diagnostics at BTW Speedtest page here once thats submitted if your speeds still aren't showing correct please raise a fault here

James

hazelemma

Have done as you requested. My download speed now, according to bt wholesale, is down to 17.49 mbps although for the last six weeks it has been stable at 23-24 mbps. I'd really like to know why.

Thanks.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,

Sorry to see your speeds have dropped.

Looking at your line, it's pretty stable:

Your line is connecting just below the estimates by 0.2Mbps.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 30 21.1 6.9 5 -- Available -- -- -- --

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 20.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 1112.7
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Profile Name

0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-2M Upstream, Error Protection Off

We can raise this through as a fault, but it's unlikely to be able to be increased much if at all. Is the router connected through to the master socket still?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
hazelemma

Many thanks for your help, Chris. There has been no change whatsoever in the setup of my equipment this end. What concerns me is that my speeds have been stable since I was first connected to Plusnet on 24/10/16, rising from 21-22 mbps download to 23-24 mbps download at the end of the DLM period and on odd occasions touching 25 mbps. Suddenly, on 13/12/16, they took a dip of nearly 5 mbps. Whilst I accept that my download speeds are still close enough to the lower estimate (which in itself has come down 1 mbps since the date I contracted with Plusnet, when it was 22.2 mbps) not to constitute a fault, this anomaly raises questions about the future stability of my speeds that I had hoped not to have to ask. Perhaps the wisest course would be for me to monitor my speeds and only report a fault if they drop further. What do you advise?