Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop in Download speed.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Sudden drop in Download speed.

I have run a speed test and found a drop in download speed. I'm on the 38/10 fibre pack and ran test via cable. I have also done the usual checks and after another speed test, here's the results..

Speed.jpg

Any suggestions as to what else can be done?

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
15 REPLIES 15
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Re: Sudden drop in Download speed.

Update from yesterday..Still no improvement..

speed2.jpg

Again, all tests carried out and still on less than half usual speed. My usual being between 37 and 38 on download.  Angry

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

It's been a week now since I noticed a drop in speed and there is still no improvement.

Can someone look into this please? Tests done on my side are via network cable ( as suggested), and other tests done my side showing no fault(s) but clearly there is.  Ticked_off

Speedshot3.jpg

Running these speeds when it's supposed to be 38/10 is ridiculous. I can only add that this drop in speed only happened after the upgrade to 10 (9.5) and I'm getting less than half both up and down. Please sort it.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Apologies for the delayed response.

I'm looking into this for you.

[edit]

I've tested your line but this isn't showing any cause.

If you report the issue here we'll get this investigated further

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Thanks, the issue has been reported and I have saved the screenshots I have posted. All seems o.k. apart from the sudden speed drop since upload speed increase.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for reporting it.

We'll get it investigated as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Thumbs_Up

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Still no joy on this one. The BT speedtest shows the problem is getting worse. I have double checked all on this side and no fault found. Is there an update on this ticket as when I look it says it's waiting for support team answer. Here's a shot of the test done a few minutes ago...

Speedshot4.jpg

Note the time and date. (and the speeds up/down). here's what I read when reading the ticket..

Script User - Automated Script Pool
4:08pm, Thursday 30 Nov 2017

The Question 163218724 has been released from hold and sent back to CSC - FTTC Faults - Speed

Your fault Ticket has now been taken off hold. 

This has now been forwarded to the relevant support team. We will carry on investigating your problem and your open fault will be updated as soon as more information is available.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

It doesn't seem that the issue is with sync your BTW Profile is as it should be, worth noting that the BTW speed test is giving poor results for some strange reason has for a while now so I wouldn't go by that one try the test here https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

it should give a far better result in terms of what your speed actually is, if it's still low then it could be that the profile on Plusnet is not set correctly so that should be looked at to change or rule out.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

O.K. here's the result from the link posted for separate speed test...and as you can see it's more or less the same.

Speedshot5.jpg

And it's basically the same regardless of which speed test site I use.  Sad

Terranova667
Pro

Hi, hmm ok have a look here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Enter your account username and password.

it should state what your Plusnet profile is, It should be set to match the BTW IP profile which in the BTW test showed 38.7Mb if it's set lower than that there is your problem and it just needs adjusting on plusnets end, online Chat can do that for you or one of the Plusnet staff that frequent the forum.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@Terranova667

Thanks for that link but I think the problem is solved (not too sure yet). An engineer has been booked for Thursday morning thanks to a phone call from PN earlier today. However, in the meantime (out of curiosity) I disconnected the ethernet cable and went wifi. This resulted in a speed increase from 14 to 32 down and from 0.3 to 9.3 up. I am monitoring this and if all is well still on Wednesday I will cancel the engineer. I don't have another ethernet cable to try so can't positively say that the cable is the problem. 

Thanks for the links though, and the advice. Will post back when I have more info.  Thumbs_Up

Terranova667
Pro

no problem. going by what you just said it seems that the Profile on Plusnets end is set correctly if your able to get the result via Wi-fi although no harm in checking just to make sure, but it now does sound like a faulty Ethernet cable or maybe a faulty Ethernet port have you tried another port to test.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

The laptop I have has only 1 port but taking the cable next door shortly to test it on his. If the cable tests fine then I'll be looking at getting the port on the laptop checked out.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,

Did you manage to test with an alternate ethernet cable at all?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.