cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden decrease in speed

Octal
Grafter

Sudden decrease in speed

I was changed over from ADSL to VDSL FTTC on Monday 28th Sept.

The next day I had a sudden decrease in speed down to 14.4Mbps which is slower than my old ADSL which was 16.5Mbps download.

I know the DLM has got to do it's job, but that seems a huge decrease, is that normal? Upload speed is fine.

I have generated a ticket 206645541.

In the meantime I'm just curious to know.

8 REPLIES 8
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Sudden decrease in speed

Do you have a non VDSL filtered master socket and a few extensions?

In the early days of FTTC an Openreach engineer would come out and fit a VDSL filtered Master socket and modem, to ensure you got the best speeds. VDSL is very unforgiving with extension wiring.

Octal
Grafter

No extensions, BT MK4 faceplate fitted. I was getting 40Mbps initially so I know the line is capable. I can see all the bands up/down on DSLstats.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Ah, thought you would not have a filtered socket. So am guessing you have already had line issues and OR came along and fitted it as a matter of course?

Is the line quiet, any noise pops or crackles - dial 17070 option 2?

What speeds are you expecting, or at least what does the DSL checker say you should be getting https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Octal
Grafter

I replaced the socket, it's quite easy these days, you don't even need a tool. I'm quite used to doing things like this as I was a BioMedical engineer for 30 years. I must admit, I don't know too much about the internet, only the basics.

I have already done the quiet line test, but done again to make sure, it's dead quiet.

I have already done the BB checker, but done it again and attached a copy.

I go back to my original post, it was working at very close to maximum when it suddenly dropped, all I wanted to know is this normal whilst the DLM is doing it's job?

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Well something is not right, 

Assuming you have not wired up the extensions to the unfiltered connection there must be a line fault somewhere.

Octal
Grafter

I quite understand putting extensions on the unfiltered side will put a notch on that particular range for frequencies if it's a quarter wave long 😉

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
Octal
Grafter

@tinytaco you must have missed my first post, ticket generated last week 206645541, nothing happened yet, not sure how long it takes.